MIAB pedal for low-mid gain

I would go for the Carl Martin stuff- I have the old big Plexitone and although it eats up some low end, it is good.
the low gain version is the same, the crunch.
But noone I´ve heard of makes a dedicated lowgain pedal - they seem aimed for full drive.
so they start out too thin, cuts low, change the frequency spectrum (some more than others). Some can be fine, but you (Or should I say I) allways step in to "another world", going away from my basic tone. So now I go for the Clapton trick (not a trick though, but..) check out his setup in the latest rigrundown from Premierguitar. Just volumecontrol and fine amps and a few (similar) guitars. - and some talent and practice....right...

Last edited:

GreatDaneRock

I did not read all the pages of people recommending the pedal they own. I don't own the Joyo British Sound, but I will suggest you give it a try. I had one for a day, it wasn't the flavor of overdrive I was looking for, but it will do what you looking for in a New York minute.

Hi,
I have read a lot of similar 3d but no one ask for what I searching for.

I need a MIAB pedal good to manage low and mid gain. A pedal that can "clone" a Hendrix "clean on the verge of breakup" sound or, at most, Page sound, no more than that. Should sound crispy and retain always a good note separation, no muddy and compressed pedal like Marvel FX drive that I have had in the past.
No JCM800/Modded Plexi sort of thing with a lot of gain, I don't need it.

It is really important that the pedal "feels" like an amp: it should be respond well to my right hand strength and should have a good clean up with volume pot. So only JFET pedals (but probably all the MIAB pedal use JFET), no pedals with diode or opamp, because I don't like it.

I use always clean amp (now Hiwatt clone and in some months a Ceriatone JM50) and single coil guitars.

Thanks for your help
Jrockett. 45 Caliber Overdrive. Slam a tube screamer in front of it set for clean boost if you need more drive. All I use for overdrive. Check this video on my Instagram @singletonepickups and this one for Hendrix https://www.instagram.com/reel/CUfWWdcDf_7/?utm_medium=copy_link

Last edited:

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
I've had very good results with the ZVex Box of Rock and with the BJFe Dyna Red Distortion.

Honestly, the AnalogMan modded Boss DS1 is a pretty dang good MiaB too but OP doesn't want anything OP amp based, regardless of how it sounds or feels.

Last edited:

Sir Pickalot

Silver Supporting Member
I've had the Bogner Blue and agree it does a great low gain but with a modern feel, less sag than a Marshall. I use the Carpe Diem mini for what the OP is looking for and it's controls can get you as crisp and or bassy as you need. Check out That pedal show when Mick plays the Strat with the Carpe Diem

meterman

The BJFE Dyna Red 4-knob is a great MIAB pedal that does low-medium gain very well. Makes a perfect companion to the Keeley Phat Mod which is a modded Blues Driver. They both have a similar amp-like feel and compression, good volume knob cleanup, with the Phat Mod being more tonally neutral and the Dyna Red having a really nice Marshally midrange character. These two boxes are giving me everything I need into a Deluxe Reverb.

Last edited:

spi

Charlie Brown. Box of Rock and Distortron were already mentioned several times--CB has a similar circuit but with a 3-band EQ.

Last edited:

SimonShep

Silver Supporting Member
Closest I’ve found to being anywhere in the neighborhood of an actual Marshall, especially at band volumes, has been building a jfet version of the preamp and running it at 18v, 9v it sounds too much like a pedal when the volume goes up. Basically it’s just the Pedal Pal jcm800 emulator, just running at a higher voltage, though to do the clean/ super low gain the gain has to be just about all the way down.

crasper

I have always used the Menatone KOB for this. Many pedals have come and gone here trying to find alternates. Pettyjohn Gold mkII is awesome as well and has recently become my No. 2 behind my KOBs. I play strats through blackface amps so, obviously, the voicing may or may not work with your rig. I haven’t tried the Origin or Kingsley stuff yet but would like to someday. Good luck with your search would be interested to hear if you discover some cool tones!

madprofessor

Those are tough tones to get out of a pedal.

The attack and punch of a good Marshall are not gain characteristics. You can simulate clipping or EQ, but you cant make a squishy amp more percussive, or a compressed amp tone more dynamic.

Wylde Horses

Wow, I'm a little disappointed TGP - 95 posts and nobody mentioned the Greer Lightspeed? Awesome OD pedal with relatively mild clipping and an amp-like response.

Unless I missed that post, then it's 95 posts before the Greer Lightspeed was mentioned a second time. And I'm still disappointed. :p

bigtone23

That is a tricky zone: the edge of breakup. IMHO, a lot rides on the amp to provide the proper EQ and feel.
I get cool, edgy tones from my Plexi Drive, as do I from my heavily modified DS1 (by yours truly) to get a 2203/2204 style of gain and character.
However, if I plug those pedals into a clean BF/SF Fender, they aren't terribly convincing. Plugged into my Marshalls, Pro Jr or Peaveys, they are closer to that mark.

Chariot

There have been some great suggestions already. I'll add the Menatone The King to the list, but you have to keep the Drive and Gain knobs down. Since you mentioned "crispy" you could also consider the PedalPalFx PAL 800. You can dial the gain back and get crispy tones with good note separation. I use both of these pedals for low gain tones even though they can go much hotter. For reference, I also own a Wampler Plexi-Drive and a J Rocket Animal but I would choose the Menatone and PAL for your specific purposes. I also have a Jetter 45/100. I love it, but I think it would be a bit muddy for your purposes. I had a Marvel Drive and I agree that it can sound a little muddy.

spi

Wow, I'm a little disappointed TGP - 95 posts and nobody mentioned the Greer Lightspeed? Awesome OD pedal with relatively mild clipping and an amp-like response.

Unless I missed that post, then it's 95 posts before the Greer Lightspeed was mentioned a second time. And I'm still disappointed. :p

It wasn't mentioned because it's not considered a MIAB.
Great pedal though!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom