• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

MIAB tone chasing bender

les_paul

I posted in another thread "people say they want a MIAB but really want a Marshall". Full disclosure: I posted that in the midst of a MIAB bender and still whole heartedly believe it. That said, the challenge of taking a solid state amp and a pedal to make Marshall sounds has been really fun.

I've given up on the Angry Charlie as I feel like it is too thick/saturated. Recent favorites are the MI Audio Crunch Box, PedalPalFX Pal 800 rev 2, and a Wampler Pinnacle. I picked up an Origin Revivaldrive Hot Rod which was underwhelming. The Zvex Box of Rock is really meh right now as well. I'll end up with a Marshall soon enough but does anyone else do this for the challenge rather than trying to get Marshall tone on the cheap?

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
Keeley 1962x had me selling off all my MiaB pedals within days of adding it to my main board... it sounds amazing and what I have always heard in my head. :aok

Last edited:
The full-fat 2-sided Origin Revival does it for me for lower-gain Plexi-ish tones. Though for all the efforts you’ve been going to, it does sound like you’d be better off not chasing your tail any further and just going for the Marshall amp? If that’s the ultimate destination, I’d personally save up for the one way ticket rather than losing cash sightseeing along the way :p

sutherland

The PAL 800 kinda killed the chase for me, especially once I moved to the Normal input of my Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb.

There are still some pedals I am curious about:
- Suhr Eclipse
- Bogner La Grange
- that ridiculously priced Lee Jackson Platinum Distortion

les_paul

I think the problem is the SS amp, not the pedals.
Nah, its a Quilter Overdrive 200. I found out if I set all tone controls to off as a starting point it sounds fine, so I'm kind of starting over.

People rave about the DRRI as a platform which never worked for me. The Bassman RI and Tone King Gremlin also work fine.

Again, this is more about the challenge. I could buy a Marshall and get it over with but the hunt is kind of fun.

Ole Tin Ear

I've got a SS Roland JC-40. Hooked up a Revival Drive Custom, and viola: Plexi tone on one side and Vox/Fender hybrid on the other. Mission accomplished.
Add a Germanium treble booster and/or a Klone/Screamer and you've got quite a lot of classic tone potential.

MBT74

I think the problem is the SS amp, not the pedals.
The BJFE Poppy Red Distortion run into my SS Tym Guitars amp sounds glorious. Responds to picking and guitar volume and sounds like a Marshall to me. Sure, it doesn’t sound like a 100w Superlead cranked, but that’s a difference of volume, not tone.

smokehouse4444

Silver Supporting Member
I used to have a 68 Plexi 100 Super Lead...ran it with a 4 x 12 slant back and a Marshall Brake.

It's been tooo long now to see if my current MIAB pedals would actually sound like it, but I like them both. I have a red Ramble FX Marvel Drive and an Xotic SL. The Marvel can be tweaked quite a bit...the Xotic has this nice woody sound to it.

carl_in_vain

Feels like the list of MIABs I haven't tried is getting shorter than the list of MIABs I have tried.

At some point, it's time to let go.

itskellyo

It's technically a preamp pedal with on/off for cab sim, but I'm thoroughly impressed by the Mooer UK Gold. It's a JCM900 clone and sounds great in the FX return or in front of the amp. It overtook a JHS AT +, Friedman Dirty Shirley, Wampler Pinnacle (which I couldn't get a good sound out of), and I'm using it more often than the drive channel in my Victory v4 Countess preamp pedal, which has become my clean channel.

Trending Topics