MIAB

Tdog

Ok, there are a million MIAB threads around but this one is a bit different. I have had an SL Drive, an Angry Charlie, a Charlie Brown and played other similar pedals but never quite found what I wanted. All the MIAB pedals I tried were good but they seemed to be shooting for JCM or Bluesbreaker tones. I was looking for something like ( or like my memory of) my old 50 watt JMP. I recently picked up a Fulltone Fulldrive 3 and think I have found it. On the asymmetrical drive setting I'm getting kind of a mid hump tone but brighter and more lively than a TS. With my Gibson Les Paul ( with Dominger 58 pickup) through Fender amps (65 Princeton, Pro Jr or 5E3) reminding me of early AC/DC. Am I the only one who thinks this?

jlcogar

Silver Supporting Member
Revival drive, I looked forever for something that sounds like my ‘71 50w. The Simplifier dlx does it quite well, but is a bit more than a miab

Feverdog

I have a late 70’s 50 watt JMP clone. Purple Plexi sounded identical. But I prefer Greer Sucker Punch for the ability to jump up a level to JCM-type gain. Had an FD2 as well but it thinned out the sound too much. But you’re talking about thru Fender amps so maybe never mind.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe take a look at Greer’s Little Samson. I played one for a while and it had sort of a Plexi-ish sound to it. Definitely is a MiaB, but not just one specific tonal sound. (It’s not a BB type)

GenoVox

Gold Supporting Member
The SL Drive has those internal switches for tweaking the type of Marshall tones it emulates… to my ears, it did a great job with the JMP or Plexi-type stuff. In fact, I always thought it was too gainy for Bluesbreaker stuff, and not gainy enough for JCM stuff. So I’m surprised it didn’t work for the OP

For these type of tones through a Fender amp, I’d also recommend a Barber Direct Drive… killer pedal!

macmeda

Silver Supporting Member
Revival drive, I looked forever for something that sounds like my ‘71 50w. The Simplifier dlx does it quite well, but is a bit more than a miab
Will the regular ( non-deluxe) Simplifier do it as well?

macmeda

Silver Supporting Member
The Lovepedal COT 50 was designed for that exact reason,
so Sean could make any backline amp sound and react like his 50 watt JMP

stratohiker

Silver Supporting Member
After trying many, I've settled on the Jetter Gold Standard. Very handy that is has two pedals in one enclosure for a reasonable price.
It's been on the board for about a year and a half so far.
I agree @GenoVox that the SL Drive has to much gain for more classic tones.

Non-rabbit

The best Marshall sound I've heard in a pedal is actually the Strymon Riverside. I played it through a Fender Pro Reverb at the store and was so blown away I bought it on the spot. Thing absolutely roars and honest to god sounds like a Marshall.

Crimson Queen

Silver Supporting Member
I keep trying different ones and keep going back to the DLS MkIII at 12 volts with the presence all the way off.

Goofball

Silver Supporting Member
How about some of the Weehbo stuff? I have a JCM Drive LTD and it's pretty close to my old 800 - even down to the wonky bass control.

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
Best MIAB's I have had are the Bogner Lagrange and especially the Bogner Blue mini. The bogner blue mini fixes all of the issues I had with its big brother and has better tone control than the lagrange. It also has among the best volume rolloff of any non fuzz pedal I've ever encountered. The only one in its league would be the Blackstone and maybe the BOR or OCD...maybe.

The only ones i haven't tried that are still on the radar are The PAL offerings and the Marvel Drive. I've been through MANY others including (but probably not limited to...):

Kingsley Harlot
Revival Drive mini
Valbruch Kaluna
CM Plexitone mini
DLS MKII
OCD V2
CMATMods Brownie
Box of Rock
Crunchbox
Suhr Riot
Barber Direct Drive Original and latest version

Blue Lizard

Quite partial to the Drybell Engine myself…

dVE6Flo.jpg

johnh

Ok, there are a million MIAB threads around but this one is a bit different. I have had an SL Drive, an Angry Charlie, a Charlie Brown and played other similar pedals but never quite found what I wanted. All the MIAB pedals I tried were good but they seemed to be shooting for JCM or Bluesbreaker tones. I was looking for something like ( or like my memory of) my old 50 watt JMP. I recently picked up a Fulltone Fulldrive 3 and think I have found it. On the asymmetrical drive setting I'm getting kind of a mid hump tone but brighter and more lively than a TS. With my Gibson Les Paul ( with Dominger 58 pickup) through Fender amps (65 Princeton, Pro Jr or 5E3) reminding me of early AC/DC. Am I the only one who thinks this?
I have to confess that I don’t hear much MIAB in my FD3. Not enough bass for a Marshall type tone to my ears. But if it works for you, that’s what counts, no?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom