1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

MIAUDIO Crrrrunch!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jdavies, Feb 10, 2006.

1. jdavies

jdavies Member

Just got my Crunch Box in the mail, well packed and looking fine.

Fresh battery, plugged in alongside the Blue Boy
    MMM low mid fat throaty goodness!
    Knobs set to 8 Oclock volume, 12 Oclock Tone, 5 Oclock Drive

There is massive room to excessively boost the volume beyond 9 Oclock - I'm too scared to go much further than 12 Oclock unless the drive is right down low.
    even with the drive on minimum there is a nice low mid tubelike character added to a clean sound - a hint of that chocolate brown high gain, crunchy sustain that grows as you turn the drive control.
    In the higher regions of drive there is a sweet singing character that lends itself to effortless picking and squealing harmonic techniques and nice legato sustained passages. Sustained notes bloom nicely into harmonic sustain without deafening volumes ( with my set up at least).
    Its that great singing sound you often get by driving one pedal into another - only you dont need the extra pedal to get that sound.

Tone turned to the left softens the attacking edge by taking out the high harmonics and gives a more subdued tone. turned to the right yields edgy buzz saw qualities that cut through without too sharp an edge until you get to maximum.

I used a mex tele with Kinman AVn-60's into a highly customised old australian made Rose Morris head (40W?) into a sealed 1 x 12 Celestion Cab.
    I will try other amps later (I also have Laney VC30 and Marshall JTM30 combos for wet/dry/dirty/clean options mixed/switched via a fireface)

I am a very happy camper
    thanks Michael

cheers

Jeremy

2. marrelero

marrelero Member

Great, thanks for the review! Can't wait to get mine...

3. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Jeremy thanks for the review, I think mine ships on Monday but in the mean time I get to play with the blues Pro I just got!!

4. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Could you describe its differences compared to the Blue Boy?

5. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

awesome! I hope to be getting mine soon.

some of the clips remind me of a rat. if you've tried, do you hear any similarities ?

6. jdavies

jdavies Member

Difference between blue boy and crunch box:

I'd say the blue boy has a rich mid harmonic addition that can give more singing silky violin-like tones on high gain - if you like, a light milk chocolate flavour that mixes well with other ingredients - not quite so much body but very sweet. Works lightly applied or as a tenor-like voice in an ensemble (especially with single coils)

The Crunch Box is more like Dark chocolate with low mids and liqueur - a dominant breadth of rich tone that sings in a more baritone voice. A little more powerful and forceful than the blue boy - more of a confident mature manly sound.

Well thats the best picture i can paint in words with my set up

(Now I'm hungry....)

cheers
    Jeremy

7. jdavies

jdavies Member

Similar body of tone to a rat in the low mid area but has a bit more smooth liqueur to the sound than the rat sound I remember (a long time ago)

cheers
    Jeremy

8. jj jafar

jj jafar Member

What!?!?!?:D Jason

9. erksin

erksin Member

I think your assessment of the Blue Boy is right on - such a great box...

10. jeak

jeak Member

Jeremy, how is the Crunch for clarity/note definition? Is it highly compressed, or is there some transparency? And how about noise? One reason I don't stack ODs is the noise. Is the Crunch fairly quiet at high gain, or do you get a wall of whoosh when you stop playing?

Thanks.

11. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I've got the same questions as jeak.-bk

12. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

Me too! Same question. ~ mike:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused::eek:

13. jdavies

jdavies Member

I didnt really notice any wall of woosh - there certainly is a nice swell and bloom that can bring out harmonics from unmuted open strings. It is definitely more "compressed" than the blue boy. No noise of any significance between notes - but then my Kinman pick ups are very quiet.
    Notes speak out very clearly in single note passages but complete chords are more a blend of rich harmonics rather than clearly definable individual notes (And thats what I would expect a distortion to sound like) . I guess the advantage over individual dual drives is you are not adding continuous gain to the noise of the pedal that is boosting into it. Actually, on High drive settings adding a boost from the blue boy really didn't make much difference to the sound or the dynamics. I can only say this is how it works with my gear.
    I tried it out with a Yamaha SG1500 with humbuckers and got similar results to the tele.
    I'm not sure that transparency, as I understand it, is what you get from this pedal. I was thinking transparency means preserving the original sound and character of your guitar. I would say this is more of a tone box - like a style of amplifier (close to a nice brown marshall sound) that resonates and drives in a particular (very nice ) fashion with some of its own sound rather than a perfect extension of the tone of the input.

Thinking about it from a sonic point of view the additional harmonics generated by the circuit will keep a similar balance as they are produced by the circuit. So unless you have a very distinctive guitar sound - eg switch between front and back pick ups, the more distortion you have the less difference the guitar sound makes and the distortion sound is the dominant generator of harmonic tones. So a back pick up gets the edgy snarly biting lead sound and a front pick up is a rounder warmer singing sound but I think subtle differences between individual guitar's tones will be less obvious with more drive.
    Having said that, there is certainly less colour on lower drive settings - more of a tint over the original sound that becomes more dominant as the drive is increased. I really like that range of colours for a crunchy rocking rhythm sound or a sweet singing lead (very AC/DC).

hope that is helpful in understanding this pedal without playing with it yourself.

Jeremy

14. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

Nice write up .Thanks ~ mike

15. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member