Mic bass cab with sm57 ....... anyone try this??

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by straticus, Nov 8, 2004.

1. straticus

straticus Member

I have "that session" coming up this Friday. I have one D112 but I want to use it on the kick. So that leaves me short as to what to use on the Base cab. Anyone ever use a sm57 for micing base guitar??? I wonder what that would sound like?

Any other suggestions for less expensive mics that would work on a base cab would be appreciated. Anyone use the Audix stuff ............ D6?? ......... or?

Thanks, BC :)

2. straticus

straticus Member

I'm wondering if my Rode NTV might work. It has a max spl of 130dB.

Could be interesting, eh?

3. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Actually, since I assume you'll be leaning mostly on a good quality DI, blending a 57 in for some midrange wool/moving air might work just fine. I've had good luck blending 57 with a fat, clean DI (such as a Sansamp Bass Driver). I would not go that route if you're not also running a DI. For abit more than a C note, you could pick up an ATM 25, and use it on bass cab. Also a kickass kick mic.

4. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Give the 57 a try. One of the best bass tracks I've ever recorded was done with a 57 on an Ampeg B-15 with an old prs bass.

If you want a good cheap kick mic, check out the CAD kbm412. I got one on sale for $50 a while back and have used it on an amp a few times.

5. heinz

heinz Guest

SM57 rolls off bass at 100Hz. So I would agree with mixing in a DI signal if that's the mic you're gonna use.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

dont like it.... alone.

the SM57 adds lots of great punch, but if you're using a 5 string bass, forget about a punchie low B string. its like the SM seems to slope off pretty early around 42Hz of the low E. like B'matic suggested, using a DI is best, with the SM57 providing cover fire for that added air.

and while bass drum mics are great for a quick fix, again, they're EQ'd for bass drums, where the peaks and emphases are in different places, made to ride above the bass guitar. so, at least to my ear, they sound rather strange for bass which are waaaay more full range. also, might pose problems for the engineer. with that said, some swear by it. i just happen to not.

if you're hard up on getting a good "amp" sound, you could try using the speaker input mode on whatever high quality DI they have at the studio. allows you to send the tone directly from the amp to the board, while still being plugged into your cab.

Countryman's, H&K RedBox, higher end Whirlwind's, and Avalon U5's have this feature. just remember to keep your cab plugged into the head's other output or risk ruining your amp.

7. straticus

straticus Member

Thanks for the advise guys.

This guys base rig doesn't have a direct out ....... but if understand you correctly, I could insert an H & K red box (or other DI box) between the head and cab and then run the out put from the DI into the mixer, right?