Mic booms/stands...what's the deal? (and cable suggestions)

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by gururyan, May 24, 2005.

1. gururyan

gururyan Member

I am about to buy a Shure KSM27, I want a sturdy mic boom that I can use for vocals, cabs and acoustic use. Here is the deal, all the ones I see online and in person at stores are way too unstable (for me and my paranoia) considering what balances on the end. I don't understand this at all. Considering that the mic is often the most expensive piece of gear in the studio (that isn't bolted to a rack mount), why are the boom choices out there so weak? Sure, my new mic is only $300...but until my budget allows for a nicer one...that's a lot of money to me. It has me honestly considering drilling a hole in my floor and installing a "sleeve" that the mic pole can slide into thus preventing any chance of a fallen boom/stand.

Am I missing a brand or two that makes affordable, STURDY booms/stands?

And while I've got you, I am planning to pick up Blue's Kiwi mic cable. It's quality with some style...should I know anything else before settling on the Kiwi?

Appreciate the help, thank you.

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

3. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

I've often been concerned about the lightweight mic stands that most people use, and as a result, I've got some info for you.

I use the big Atlas SB 36W stand and boom that you find in many studios; it runs about $250, and while it's plenty sturdy, it's not very well-finished, however, it's what you more or less find everywhere, and it works very well. When I say it's not well finished, I mean the chrome plating is cheap and tends to flake a bit with use; the thread mount is cheap stamped pot metal, making threading on a nice mic kind of a pain in the butt, etc.

For about $900-1000 you can use the big Starbird boom, another studio and film industry staple, which is now being made again by Manley. This is a very well finished, well made piece of gear, but as you can see, it's very costly.

However, I've found a new stand and boom that appears to be loosely based on a camera tripod style thing, and it appears to be a better piece of gear than the big Atlas stand I use. It runs about $250-ish. If I were buying some new studio gear, I'd check this out:

http://www.airrsupport.com/

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I got a big Atlas brand new for about $125-140, thereabouts. It's pretty sturdy, but you need a lot of elbow torque to get the vertical tubes to stay put.

Compare prices of the Kiwi vs. the same length Mogami Gold and get whichever is cheaper.

5. gururyan

gururyan Member

Thanks for the information!
    Yeah, the Airr Support looks very sturdy...love the sandbag counterweights. It sure looks stable, I like that a lot. I wonder if it would be flexible enough though to allow me to use in all the positions I have imagined in my head. I will definitely be looking further into those.

Thank you!

I'll check it out!
    EDIT: Check'd it out, 27ยข difference in price. I'm goin' green.

Actually, for $100, this one with the 17 lb. base has just given me an idea. I could get that and then drop a 50lb. weight from a barbell set down on it, centered.
    [​IMG]

Brilliant!!!

3 replies, 3 great answers...love this place. :cool:

6. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

You can also get those On Stage stands for under $100 on ebay. 67lb stand with no casters? Sounds like work.

7. gururyan

gururyan Member

That's just it, I don't plan on moving anything but the boom.

8. Bluzsteel

Bluzsteel Member

got a OnStage , its perfect. can roll it also! online 125.00. could hang a 50 lb mic