Mic for bedroom volume guitar amp recording

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Arjan, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Arjan

Arjan Supporting Member

Hi all,

This is my first post on this board, but I've been lurking around for a little while already!

I would like to record some guitar tracks on the PC. I already have an audio interface + mic preamp (Terratec Phase 88 FW and Behringer mixer).

My guitar setup is as follows: Fender strat into Boss GT-Pro connected to Fender Super 112 60W tube amp using the 4 cable method. This combination allows me to achieve good tone at bedroom volume. I play mostly clean or very lightly overdriven sounds.

I would like to record this sound, but I always hear that for making good guitar amp recordings, the amp needs to be pushed hard (a lot of volume). This is simply not possible in my old house with surrounding neighbours, so I was wondering if it is possible to record at bedroom volume levels with a microphone such as the Shure SM57? Or is there a mic that is better suitable for lower volume recordings?

BTW I tried going direct from the GT-Pro, but I could not achieve a natural sound that way...

Thanks in advance for you help!

Best,
    Arjan

2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

yep i use an SM57 to mic up an amp as well. solid dynamic mic choice. for vocals and acoustic guitar tho, I use the Studio Projects C1 condenser mic. I run both through an MAudio DMP3 mic/instrument preamp (dual inputs) to whatever you have that changes that analog signal to a digital one - right now I use an MAudio Quattro but I'm going to move on to a Zoom H4 pretty soon.

3. rosscoep

rosscoep Member

57 maybe mic the room with a condenser or ribbon to fatten up the sound if the 57 isn't enough for you.

4. Arjan

Arjan Supporting Member

Many thanks for your replies! I'm definitely getting an SM57 now and see where that takes me. I also have a SE2200 condenser mic which I might add to the 57 in the room to see how it sounds in combination.

Thanks again! This is a great forum! ;)

5. johnboggs

johnboggs Member

You might also consider one of the Line 6 devices such as the Pocket POD, POD 2.0, TonePort, or GuitarPort to connect your guitar directly to your PC. All are reasonably priced, in my opinion, and provide excellent sound quality, amp and cabinet modeling, and so on.

I use a POD 2.0 running into my USB mixer and then into my PC via the USB connection to record in Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio.