Mic for recording snare and high hat together

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by AshlandBump, Aug 7, 2005.

1. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    We're limited by board space and funds as to how we'll record drums. Right now, we're planning on the following: an Audix D6 for the kick and two Audix clip on condensors for the riding tom and floor tom. The last part of the equation is how to record the snare and high hat. The two options right now are: a) get another Audix clip on condensor or an Audix I-5 dynamic mic, placed between the snare and high hat. Either way, it's going to run about $350, all told. Any experience with these mics? What would be the better way to go between these two options?

2. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I wouldn't try to place a mic to capture both. If you're going to do that, you might as well shoot for a pair of overheads...maybe mix them with your room mics to get a good representation of the whole kit.

Just my .02

3. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Do a search for 3 mic drum techniques. You'll find more info and mic suggestions than you'll know what to do with. I'd start by putting up a condensor over head above the snare.

4. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

I will do the search. But . . . is there a potential phase issue by using more than one condensor on a drum set?

5. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

There are phase issues using more than one of ANY kind of mic on a drum kit, including dynamics and ribbons, but it's done every day. If you spend ten bucks on a book of recording techniques BEFORE spending $$ you will save yourself a lot of money, time, and aggravation.

6. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

Earthworks has a 3 mic set that just rocks...

7. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Umm, what about the crash and overhead? They deserve to be more than leakage, as does the kit's whole, "big picture" sound. You'd be better off with a kik mic and 2 good overheads, or better yet a kik/snr/OHs set up. You'll get plenty of nice tom action with properly spec'd and placed overheads, PLUS your hat and cymbals. The setup you've outlined above is completely wack, imo.

8. Antero

Antero Member

Micing the snare and the hi-hat together would be a bad idea, because you're going to want to mix them separately. I'd suggest going for a full-kit image with overheads, if you're limited in mics and pres. Put it in a good room, maybe compress it a bit...

9. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The set up, and my recording experience, is definitely a work in progress. I've been reconsidering the process and the current plan is very similar to what you describe: a good kick mic, two overheads, and perhaps a SM57 on the snare, or place between the snare and hi-hat.

Regarding the overheads, how do you set up side address condensors to use as overheads? I know there's no golden rule and that experimentation is key, but I'm looking for a good starting point. For side address condensors used as overheads, do you mount them horizontally, pointing down, directly over the two sides of the drum set?

By the way, what does snr mean?

10. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

"... and perhaps a SM57 on the snare, or place between the snare and hi-hat."

Forget trying to get a hi-hat track out of your snare mic. Both will be compromised, imo.

"Regarding the overheads, how do you set up side address condensors to use as overheads?"

In the typical ways, usually as an X-Y (a bit fussy, usually, depending on the mic and/or mount design) or as a spaced pair (usually easier to place, physically).

There's a ton of basic info on the subject on the net. Have you checked out any such primers?

"By the way, what does snr mean?"

lazy-hand for snare, here.

11. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

Thanks for all the responses and information. Yes, I understand it's a process of trial and error and experimentation. At least we have some good starting points though. I think we're going to go with something like the Glyn Johns method for starters and adjust from there.