Mic for recording the the "Mwah" of a fretless bass.

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by ozzynotwood, Mar 3, 2015.

1. ozzynotwood

ozzynotwood Member

Hi Everyone.

I'm trying to record my fretless J-bass -> Markbass Rig with minimal processing to get natural sounds. I record a track of DI, a track of Sennheiser E606 for a thinner & trebly sound, a track of Heil PR20 for the rounded low sounds but I feel the honky Midrange of a fretless when sliding is not as strong as it could be. The amp is set to it's sweet spot and I'm only usiing the bridge single coil. It all sounds exactly as I want it to, and the sound of that midrange honk does get recorded, I just want it to be a bit stronger in the recording. Are there any mic's that would suit this sound I'm trying to capture a bit better?

I'm open to suggestions that would include using my existing gear, at the same time I'm not totally satisfied with the PR20 on bass so purchasing something to replace it is an option too.

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

I'd start with not recording three tracks of it.

DI, and the right mic in the right place.

Do a little research on what Jaco and Pino do and try that?

Probably a Countryman DI and a U87, 421 or RE-20?

In the Joni Mitchell live show, he's using an RE-20 on an Acoustic amp.

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Can't go wrong with an RE-20

4. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

loudboy is right on.

Do you like the sound of the amp?

A large diaphragm condenser is hard to beat on a good sounding bass cab, but a little DI mixed in with that can really help for clarity and "cut", if needed.

I would look for something that goes low, but is relatively flat, and without that annoying 10khz peak

If you're after more of the sound you describe, I would try to identify what frequency range it is happening in and boost a little. Also, make sure you aren't picking up too much low bass, a little goes a long way!

5. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Either of the mics the OP mentioned will do just fine. Gear is not always that answer. Try some new mic positions and some careful EQ

6. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

Use your EAR to locate that sound (I suspect it will be above the point where the finger plucks the string). It should be most prominent on certain notes and if you want it on those it will likely be at the point of widest excursion - 1/2-way between the bridge and the finger holding down the string.

Wherever you find it, put a mic there for the "mwah" - but I think you also might want to add a mic for a full bodied bass tone and mix them together.

7. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

Is the DI an output on the amp, or upstream of the amp?