Mic impedance, low vs high difference?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by telest, Nov 16, 2004.

1. telest

telest Member

I'm going to buy a mic for guitar amp recording. My recorder can accept XLR (low imp) or standard 1/4" jack (high imp). Is one better than the other, apples/oranges etc...? Thanks.

Steve

2. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

Hi Steve it is better to get a low impedance mic as the input to your recorder will be high impedance that takes a low impedance XLR balanced load of a mic. A low impedance mic will be more sensitive and quieter, you will also be able to use it on PA systems and other mixers.

Low imp Mics are generally 600 ohms and a Shure SM57 or SM58 would be a good starting choice.

3. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Gary is correct, but with all due respect I would not use a SM58 for a guitar cab. It's meant for vocals and it has a "hump" at a certain frequency that makes it unpleasant on guitar. The SM57 is only about $85 and it's very, very nice on a guitar cab.

4. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

True but I wouldnt personally use a SM57 for vocals but some people do.

I think if I were to recommend one mic for multiple use it would have to be the SM58 as it is a more general purpose mic ad you can always tweak it a bit to remove the peak at around 3k.

Only my opinion but I always have to remind myself that a lot of our fellow board members need a good general purpose mic and dont have the need for a specific guitar mic such as the SM57, the postings about thin sounding guitar tone then tend to come out.

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

>> Only my opinion but I always have to remind myself that a lot of our fellow board members need a good general purpose mic and dont have the need for a specific guitar mic such as the SM57, the postings about thin sounding guitar tone then tend to come out.

Like real estate, it's location (i.e. placement), location and location. :)

Anyway, even though he specifically said for a guitar cab, IMHO the 57 is the better all-purpose mic, as I feel it's easier to make a vocal on a 57 sound good than an instrument on a 58.

But to each his own! :)

6. telest

telest Member

Hey guys, believe me this is for amp mic'ing only, there's not a mic made that could help my voice. :D Thanks for the input. I'm going to try a cheapy Radio Shack mic today. I only need it for demos, and sketching out ideas, not a finished product. If it blows I can return it.

Steve

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

So why ask?

8. telest

telest Member

You got me there, kinda. My intention was to get an SM57, but if I can get by with a cheapy, I'll try that first. Still, if low or high Z is a factor, may as well know.

Steve