Mic placement

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by ScottB, Sep 29, 2005.

1. ScottB

ScottB Gold Supporting Member

So what is the verdict on mic placement?

For live I usually use an SM57, centered on the cone (ie, halfway between the center of the speaker and the frame). It's usually pretty close, maybe 1".

I've never done a controlled experiment. Anyone have better data?

2. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

For live work, that is pretty standard. For recording, all bets are off :)
    Try off-axis, more distance ( a foot or more ), one mic on the front, one on the back (phase flipped) ect..
    If you have the means, play your guitar while listening on headphones, and have someone move the mic around. You will hear the sound change quite a bit, even with small moves.
    One really cool trick is to do that, while the rest of the tracks are playing, so you can hear the relationship of the guitar to the other tracks.
    I've heard/recorded some great guitar sounds with very unconventional mic placement.
    But, sometimes the 57 on the cone can't be beat.

3. SAMIAM

SAMIAM Member

I've found that many prefer recordings of my playing where I placed the mic ON SOMEONE ELSES AMP!!!:D :D :D

4. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

LOL - Me too :D

5. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

For recording, I've tried just about everything, never before have I found a better amp mic tone than with a Royer R121 ribbon about 6 to 8 inches away from the speaker, with a very slight angle down, but most importantly, into a high end mic preamp, in my case I prefer the Great River ME-1NV. I'm amazed/amused at players who have several multi thousand dollar amplifiers yet don't have a decent microphone preamp, it really does make all the difference The first time you try a pro mic pre you will be amazed at the improvement, you will finally hear that investment in fine guitars, pickups, strings and ampfliers and just the right speakers, pay off, (even if you are using an SM57, in fact, even more necessary with an SM57).

6. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

if you are only using one mic, i would say right where the center meets the cone. don't mic directly in the center, it's a deadspot. my favorite mic combo is a 57 and a sennheiser md421.

7. covert

covert Member

The real verdict is that there are no rules, and every song may be different.

8. gulliver

gulliver Member

The last part of the clip shows good and poor mic'ing. The first is half way between the center and edge of the speaker, as you mentioned, about a half inch to an inch from the cloth, pointed straight in. The second is the mic rotated slightly to point to the middle of the speaker ... huge difference.

clip

9. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I also place a Shure SM57 between the outer edge and the inner part of the speaker. If the tone is a little dull, I'll slightly point the mic more towards the center. If it's too bright, I'll point it straight on. This works well for me live and recording.

Oh yeah, I also put the mic right on the grill cloth. Touching it...

Chris

10. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

11. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Three-pete! :(

12. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I copy and paste this every couple of months: :D

I learned this from an engineer who told me that this is Eric Johnson's preferred miking technique. Having tried many different ways over many years I now prefer this placement to any other. It's easy to set up quickly and sounds great every time.

Speaker cab in a very resonant small space, like a tile bathroom. SM57 about 1.5 inches from the grill, dead-on axis, pointed directly at the seam where the dust cap meets the cone. Use a flashlight if necessary to aim it precisely at the right spot.

The mic is close enough to get a big sound from the speaker yet with just enough space to pick up a hint of the room reflections. This makes for a full yet dry & tight sound.

13. Blueser

Blueser Member

What are you using for converters? I am very interested in the Great River stuff as well, but I am not sure what converter I should use.

14. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I'm using the converters in the Protools Digi002 Rack. They are good but not on the league of something like the Apogee stuff. The ME-NV1 also serves as the best DI for guitar I've ever used.