Mic pre for guitar

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by mrt, Mar 26, 2015.

1. mrt

mrt Member

Guys newer to recording. Looking for a decent tube pre amp for guitar and bass. I have the presonus blue tube. It doesn't seem to do much. I'm recording a variety or distorted tones. From a old marshall jmp to a laboga mr. hector. I've been looking at pre amps. There's a million different kinds out there. What's the best bang for my buck? I'm using presonus interfaces. Looking to send under 300 bux.

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

You might be able to find a used GT Brick for that.

I'd look for something API- or Neve-inspired, in the used listings over at Gearslutz.

3. kcprogguitar

kcprogguitar Member

Try swapping the tube for a 12at7 in the presonus. Less gain, but cleaner.

4. jcat5503

jcat5503 Member

Check out the Black Lion stuff.

5. Weerez935

Weerez935 Member

6. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

Are you set on a tube pre? I ask because (i) you will get more bang for your buck without tubes, and (ii) for guitar and bass I rarely if ever prefer a tube preamp - if I could have only one I'd probably go with an API-style pre for guitar and bass. There are probably some clones or similar designs in your price range - though if you're considering upgrading converters too look for a used API A2D - 2 channels of API pre/DI, plus high quality conversion, for $1200-1500.

7. brk303

brk303 Member

Blue Tube is really not that bad, why is it you want another one, what do you expect to gain ?

8. stevel

stevel Member

Best bang for your buck? Tell us first what mics you have, and where you're placing them, and then what you don't like about the tone.

I agree with rumbletone - API style pre is typical (Neve style being a good alternative).

But the early part of your signal chain (speakers, mic placement, mic) can affect your tone so much that I wouldn't bother with the pre until I was sure those elements were in line.

I think this is worth reposting:

as is this one:

Steve

9. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

It depends on what kind of guitar we are talking about. Is it acoustic or a clean jazz through a twin reverb? Or, if you are talking about a tube pre for recording direct, my Blue Robbie seems pretty good for that kind of stuff.

But is it classic rock or heavy metal?

To me that kind of guitar tone is all in the amp & speakers first - then just careful mic placement next. The trick is finding a way to hear over a mic what you hear in the room. (often easier said than done).

The differences in mic preamps for a signal like heavy rock guitar is SO negligible. A basic clean interface should be all you need. If you are thinking "tube" just because it is guitar keep in mind all the ways that guitar amps use tubes to do different things, the sag of push/pull output tube pairs, the overdrive of 12ax7s - ....

Those are two things you do not hear in a tube mic preamp. When I think of tube mics it is for "pretty" things like vocals, string sections, etc. People sometimes use ribbon mics to smooth out rough edges on guitar amps, though.