• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Mic pre for recording guitar

Meris

Gold Supporting Member
Guys/girls, I'm curious what everyone's go to Mic Pre is when tracking electric guitar or bass?

-terry

oldhousescott

Gold Supporting Member
API 312/512 is always a good choice.
Racked up Telefunken V72 or V672 makes for a great guitar pre, as does a racked up Langevin AM16.

Curious what your pre is based on, API perhaps?

Meris

Gold Supporting Member
API 312/512 is always a good choice.
Racked up Telefunken V72 or V672 makes for a great guitar pre, as does a racked up Langevin AM16.

Curious what your pre is based on, API perhaps?
Very '60s, '70s API in tone due to the Cinemag input and output transformers.

David Simpson

WA TB12 will give you several vintage type sound options in a one space.
Pretty much great reviews all around if you look.

loudboy

Thanks, I haven't tried that one. What do you like about it?
Pretty much everything, it's one of those rare pieces that you can't find any negative reviews of:

Neve-inspired circuit.

You can balance the gain w/the output to get as much crunch as you want.

Input impedance and output loading switches, which allow for some different tonal variations.

+4 and -10 outputs, so you can split off a monitor feed, for zero-latency tracking.

TRS insert jack, so you can patch a comp or EQ in, when tracking.

Superior build quality.

http://www.greweb.com/me-1nv.html

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
Hey Terry,

I've been checking out reviews of your pre online. How does it compare to say a API 512c tone wise? By that I don't mean which is better more like what differences are here, how close are they, etc.

I usually track with two API 512c's so that's my reference and preference generally. I love the features and price on your 440 pre, reviews sorta sound like its a little cleaner than a typical API at the more extreme gain settings, which is neutral thing to me. Do you find it has a similar to each response and muscle to a 512c pre?

Also agree with the guys suggesting Great River. One of the best Neve family preamps out there. Not a sound I use that often, but killer on vocal takes sometimes. I'd love one eventually.

I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve next Terry!

Geetarpicker

API 3124+ 4 channel pre here, 2 such units actually. If you want 4 channels for your studio, the 3124+ is typically more cost effective than the 500 modules unless you already have a lunch box/power supply setup. Great pres though, not just for guitar I use them for everything.

Meris

Gold Supporting Member
Hey Terry,

I've been checking out reviews of your pre online. How does it compare to say a API 512c tone wise? By that I don't mean which is better more like what differences are here, how close are they, etc.

I usually track with two API 512c's so that's my reference and preference generally. I love the features and price on your 440 pre, reviews sorta sound like its a little cleaner than a typical API at the more extreme gain settings, which is neutral thing to me. Do you find it has a similar to each response and muscle to a 512c pre?

Also agree with the guys suggesting Great River. One of the best Neve family preamps out there. Not a sound I use that often, but killer on vocal takes sometimes. I'd love one eventually.

I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve next Terry!
Thanks so much man for looking into our gear! I appreciate it :)

Very similar to a 512 tone wise. It's my favorite color on guitar and generally the pre sounds great on all sources.

-terry

jmoose

Very '60s, '70s API in tone due to the Cinemag input and output transformers.
Really? Huh.

Friend of mine bought one of your pres... we actually went through two thought the first one wasn't working right on several counts and was exchanged. Neither sounded or responded like any sort of API we've ever heard... not a 512, 312, 212 Legacy consoles or anything else.

FWIW the whole FX loop thing, maybe we didn't get it but had some problems there... or maybe it was defective on both units. Everything we tried in it in made the audio smaller & in some cases very very distorted...

File under "things I should love on paper but fail to deliver" - see also JHS colour box that couldn't be returned fast enough.

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
I like a tube pre for guitar. I have a modded Art Pro MPA II and a matching PRO VLA II that sound nice together.

Bigswifty

Been using the UA LA-610 for a couple years now. Use it with a mic and straight in the HI Z,both with good results.

Trending Topics