Mic recommendation for church audio

nrand

We are a smallish church with a lot of music, including some very good musicians who know how to use microphones.
We also have some people who speak and read etc, with fairly weak voices and terrible mic technique - no amount of coaching seems to sink in.
I am looking for a good general-purpose mic, actually four of the same, sensitive enough to compensate for people with bad technique, ie. they will not get close enough to the mic., and also usable for singing, or guitar miking on occasion.
Looking for recommendations under $300 each, and not wireless.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
Beta 58 is the best choice, imho. BUT... no mike will compensate for really bad technique. Period. They have to be trained, or asked to use their gift of singing in the congregation from now on...

mixwiz

For the readers, get the head set style mics. The problem with people that don't undertand mics is that they are afraid of them. They start up close and get spooked when they can hear themselves and back away from the mic. Poor sound guy has not option but to turn them up and as a result they moveeven farther away from the mic. I've seen people hold mics down by their belts as a result. Eventually, the sound guy is left with the choice of unintelligible speakers or massive ringing feedback.

mixwiz

good idea but I've seen lots of people do this when there are no monitors at all, just foh.

harpinon

Beta 58 is the best choice, imho. BUT... no mike will compensate for really bad technique. Period. They have to be trained, or asked to use their gift of singing in the congregation from now on...
Absolutely on the Beta 58 mics. By far one of my favorites.
On the head set types, unless you want to spend a grand on each, they will probably sound terrible. Most do.

nrand

I had thought of the Beta 58s so this confirms my hunch, thanks.

We have no monitor wedges as yet although we may soon . . .still, regarding the readers, well . . . . for some folks, especially those who have been reading the same way all their 70+ years, insisting on doing things differently can be challenging - the church does not have a monopoly on resistance to change, they just do it better :)

speakerjones

Absolutely on the Beta 58 mics. By far one of my favorites.
On the head set types, unless you want to spend a grand on each, they will probably sound terrible. Most do.
+1 for the Beta58.

However you don't need to spend a grand on a good headset mic. The Countryman E6 goes for about $400, and sounds absolutely fantastic in this application. They're lightweight and comfortable to wear. Other companies have since copied the idea and are coming out with cheaper alternatives. Some work as well, some don't.

loudboy

+1 for the Beta58.

However you don't need to spend a grand on a good headset mic. The Countryman E6 goes for about $400, and sounds absolutely fantastic in this application. They're lightweight and comfortable to wear. Other companies have since copied the idea and are coming out with cheaper alternatives. Some work as well, some don't.
Good luck sticking a headset on a 70+ YO church lady... <g>

gobseulmuhri

another vote for beta58! very loud output before feedback. will work excellently for people who do not get close to the mic. definitely shut off the monitors though when readers are reading.

harpinon

I had thought of the Beta 58s so this confirms my hunch, thanks.

We have no monitor wedges as yet although we may soon :)
You should seriously consider near field monitors that sit on a mic stand. Low profile, great sound quality. Each user can adjust volume (and EQ on active models)
I use a Behringer, yes a B, and it sounds fabulous. I hate wedges, especially with 15's. In ears are nice, but weak on the low end and wires hanging around get in the way. It also makes it hard to communicate with band members, as you have to keep taking them off all the time to discuss anything.

Good luck.

harpinon

what behringer near fields do you use? don't know why i never thought of this
Eurolive B205D.

Most behringer stuff is garbage, but this little gem is not. I think I paid $139 for it. I would strongly suggest this active model. You have 3 inputs and a 3 band EQ. It gets pretty loud. I had mine set on 3 and thats with a full band on a big stage.

localmotion411

Platinum Supporting Member
Can anyone who's used the Beta 58 comment on how it performs on a guitar amp? I've used one at my church for the past year and it hasn't sounded that good.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
Can anyone who's used the Beta 58 comment on how it performs on a guitar amp? I've used one at my church for the past year and it hasn't sounded that good.
Bad. I've used one by accident.

Horrible. SM57 is much better.

Trending Topics