mic techniques for acoustic guitar

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by therigaletto, Jun 8, 2006.

1. therigaletto

therigaletto Member

im going to be recording acoustic tracks tomorrow and I am totally in the dark on mic techniques. I've got several mics to choose from...a few 57's..a Blue Bluebird and another generic condenser...What do you think?

2. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Use the most detailed condenser you have. I usually point it at the fretboard aimed between the 12 fret and the soundhole. This is a well known technique. The distance away is up to you and how much "room" sound you want. I usually go 12" or closer.

3. ari

ari Member

If you have more than one mics, then point the second one to either the bridge saddle of the guitar, about 1 foot away, or try positioning it around one of your ear positions, pointing toward the soundhole or the neck/body joint. Watch out for phasing problems.

In general, the more you point toward the soundhole, the more bass frequencies you get. Point the mics away from soundhole, less bass.

Have fun!

ari

4. Greggy

Greggy Member

Ditto exactly. Except I'm often between the 14th fret and the soundhole, but that is almost the same thing. I angle the mic around 45 degrees towards the soundhole to catch some of the low end without getting boomy. Small diaphragm condenser for me, although LDs can be nice also.

5. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

6. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

That clip is spot-on.

7. therigaletto

therigaletto Member

Thanks! you guys are awesome!

8. Carlier

Carlier Member

Here's a trick that seems to work regardless of the quality of your mics:

I use a 'woody' pickup (or any pickup)and record that into one channel, and then the mic technique described in responses above in a second channel. In the mix, pan them left and right, and you suddenly get this really wide sound. A tiny bit of chorus on one of the tracks works and reverb on both. Some magazine wrote that you may need to move the pickup recording slightly back (in Cubase etc) because it arrives a few milliseconds earlier than the mic recording and can sound dominant.

9. sears

sears Member

To extend what Ari said: over the shoulder can good, even as the only mic.

Also, I just got a perfect sound (for the song) using a EV 635a pointed at the top on the other side of the bridge from the strings, nearer the endpin. No other mics.

10. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

exactly. :)

If it's soft picking, i usually put it as close as possible, to pick up the nuances and intimate sound. If its rhythm, i back off a bit, or will completely move the mic to the bottom end of the guitar to avoid lots of fret noise.

Note-Stay away from the soundhole!

11. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

Gary is one of the engineers around here with the most finesse and attention to detail. A real treat to work with him.

12. minesaguinness

minesaguinness Member

Exactly what we do - although we generally use two condensers - one as above (and angled 45 deg as another of the folks said) t'other mic pretty much by my ear over the shoulder. Care in mixing - tend to pan these to avoid phase issues but most of the noise on the recordings is from the mic on the 12 fret - the other mic can be mixed in for taste as it generally adds some kinda ambience sort of thing. Usually sounds good.
    Cheers
    Brian