Mice infestation - what to do?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Tylenol Jones, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

Thankfully, I'm posting this on behalf of a friend (not me!) who is experiencing this as a first-time home owner. He's used traps but they keep coming. An exterminator would cost him about $300 and set more elaborate traps that they would have to monitor for 3 months to ween the problem but that doesn't right to me.

Aren't there people who could get rid of them instantly and also seal all the potential entrances, therefore eliminating the problem at the source? My guess is this happens every year at that house so I'd rather my buddy fix this permanently the first time rather than try to go at it half-assed and only getting rid of the mice for this year.

Thanks to all who can provide input on this.

2. claudel

claudel Member

3. mango

mango Member

Just keep setting the traps and plug all the holes he can find.
    I like the old standard spring traps with a peanut or PB for bait .
    Try setting the traps outside,get them before they get in,put them along the walls and check daily.
    I caught 18 in a month last fall,none of them were in the house .

If they are already living in the house it will take a while to get them all.

4. nsureit

nsureit Supporting Member

$300 is a bargain. I had roof rats. Paid a company $700 to get rid of them. The most important thing they did was seal every opening around the roof, under the eaves, along the foundation, etc. Then, set traps in the attic, which I would check each night. Got rid of them in a week. It's been two years now, and no issues. I pay $100 a year for continued service warranty - they'll come back again if ever needed.

5. Timinator

Timinator Supporting Member

Rat Zapper I have two, they just work.

6. crawz

crawz Member

Not a permanent solution. But I've had great success with Ropax. Little tiny cinder block like bars. It has holes in. Nail one to a piece of wood (or don't and let them take it where they want.) They eat that... and they'll quickly crap out via desiccation. This stuff is very effective. Like, generational. Sourced at most farm feed places. Local pest removal guys use this. Only downside is that if you don't see them/ find them... you get to smell them as they disintegrate. Then the fly problem as well. But it definitely wipes them out. A way better solution I find than setting traps and doing that dance over and over.

7. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

A cat helps quite a bit.

8. bugman

bugman Member

I am a pest control pro for 30yrs. Best way is old pin set snap traps from victor with peanut butter and seal off every way inside. using poison is ok out side in a bait box. You do not want to use it inside because of what was said. They die and really stink and the fly problem will be really bad. There is no magic bullet to get it done right away. Most of the time it did not happen over night. Plus Sanitation is key don't leave garbage around next to house for food or harborage. Keep vegetation cut around house. When temps change to cooler weather like when i was back east they want out of the cold and now in Phoenix with Roof rats the same cooler temps and some times its so hot out they want out of the heat.

9. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Supporting Member

10. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

Call Turtleman - he is no. 1 in wild animal rescue.

[​IMG]

11. JSharp3180

JSharp3180 Member

12. b_goatman

b_goatman Supporting Member

13. rdwilson

rdwilson Member

.......has anyone else tried one of these units with any luck ? years ago , I purchased 2 x I think they were called pesticaters (not sure)=combo night light & mouse, spiders etc, (supposedly used the wiring in the building that made some kind of repelling inaudible noise )I purch 2 which was double the amount of coverage, for my shop that is about 90 yrs old , the only results were ,$$ spent O results..

14. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Cat. Ours patrols the neighborhood, but leaves the bodies on our porch. It gets pretty gory, but the critter population has dwindled considerably.

15. mge80

mge80 Member

Back again, I see.:rolleyes:

16. mdog114

mdog114 Member

17. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

It always amazes me that people hate snakes & kill them on sight.
    I'm from a rural area & they are a very effective rodent control.

18. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

And in a very cheery mood too... :D

19. JimmyB

JimmyB Silver Supporting Member

Hey! That might work... this way, you're not stuck with a damned cat afterwards! :aok :D

20. jefesq

jefesq Gold Supporting Member