Michael Anthony: Van Halen ‘Pulled the Plug’ on Summer Reunion Tour

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by MrX, Jun 21, 2019.

1. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

He jump started Elvis' career, by recommending the hip swagger. That was all his idea.

stratadp and Pidgin English like this.
  2. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

Just saw this story posted:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/sam...K5L0u3fDs-aUvZMkJKKOF8ymIXU7CjyvTUYxXcqaD0I_k

It’s not about MA, but the split w/ Sammy from ‘97. It’s hard to tell whose side is right, or both right or both wrong, but for some reason I always got the feeling Sammy wanted to be a solo artist. My question is: why does he keep bringing up he wants to work in VH again? I just don’t understand it.
    I feel bad for MA, I’m not sure if he got a wrong message from a manager or what,... the whole situation is just odd....
    Plus the fact of the details in your book, I mean if someone said those things about me, I don’t think I’d work w/ them again... I just find Sammy odd, he should stick to Chickenfoot... it’s a better fit

3. strike3

strike3 Member

MA and those dudes made a killing off the merch for many years. They were one of, if not the first to run it all themselves. They split the profit 5 ways and it was a really big number.
    The first time I read the amount of the split, I had had to read it twice. They banked.

Kentano2000, 67blackcherry and sahhas like this.
  4. Jp2558

Jp2558 Member

5. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

The tangents these conversations take (and stick to) are strange. WHO CARES what MA is worth???

Maybe he just likes playing music and c'mon VH was a monster band. And perhaps he's an enlightened guy who saw a reunion as a chance to end his VH history on a high note.

6. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

When I was in high school I was such a huge fan I thought Eddie was right.

But the more I read interviews with him, I think he's nuts. The lies, half truths, etc. over the years has me thinking 99.9% of the problems with Van Halen are due to Eddie. I don't know if it's drugs, alcohol, ego, or whatever, but I really think it's him.

7. TheGuildedAge

I love Sammy but Chickenfoot is just such a huge step down on so many levels.

I can see longing for VH to be VH if I were Michael Anthony.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  8. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

I feel the same way. I was a huge fan, Eddie is the reason why I took up the guitar in the first place. Anymore I'm not even sure I'd call myself a fan. I'm at the least a fan of the music up to 1994 or so but I lost so much interest after all the back and forth and Ed's bizarre behavior and all the music-less years. Even if he is better you can't put the $hit back in the horse.

If Michael Anthony pulled the plug it could be a little payback with a punch to their pocket book.

Pidgin English likes this.
  9. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

Too bad EVH is such a sensitive ***** he can't play out side a very narrow band width. I would love to have heard him go Jeff Beck and make it all about guitar. But he is damaged goods. A one (very good and influential trick) pony. Hasn't refreshed his gig in 30years. Too bad. Drama queen I guess. Who really knows?

10. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

... but he don't know Jack.

Pidgin English likes this.
  11. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

There's an incestuous triangle right there.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  12. willyboy

willyboy Member

Sammy has said on a few occasions in interviews that doing a VH reunion is all about giving to the fans. I also never get the impression that Sammy has wanted, in the time since the split, to be a solo artist; if anything Sammy seems to be mostly about playing music with great musicians who he importantly likes to hang with and have fun. He doesn't need to do it for money at this stage in his life and career, he's very successful in all his endeavors.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  13. Stike

Stike Member

14. c_mac

c_mac Member

Yes, you missed the fact that nobody said that it was Mike that pulled the plug.

Cliffhydro likes this.
  15. Stike

Stike Member

Ah, miss read the thread title - coffee hadn't kicked in yet.

16. TheGuildedAge

Same here.

I still enjoy a lot of the music of my youth: AC/DC, Def Leppard, etc. but I hardly ever listen to Van Halen anymore and rarely leave it on if it comes on in the car.

17. andybaylor

andybaylor Supporting Member

Yea, I can see this.
    Getting old is a bitch.

sahhas likes this.
  18. gproud

gproud Member

Mike would want to do it for the fans. He did that god-awful reunion stuff with Sammy before and gave up rights because he wanted to do it for the fans. He knows where he came from, and he also knows where his wealth came from. He doesn't seem like the type to want to do something like this at this point in his life for money only. I think he's doing pretty good financially. I'm sure he just wants to do it one more time with the core group...

Larry Eh? and R3deemed like this.
  19. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

I think it more likely he and his producers go looking for this stuff to regurgitate.
    Yeah, the strange meandering of a TGP VH thread...like most here really. All I know is that if I could meet one member of the band, it'd be Mike.

John Hurtt and HugoTheCat like this.
  20. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Mike or Sammy. I have no interest in the rest. They say not to meet your heroes, because you might be disappointed. I've been disappointed in EVH for years now, without even having to meet him.