Michael Anthony: Van Halen ‘Pulled the Plug’ on Summer Reunion Tour

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by MrX, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Gig Young

Gig Young Orson Wells; Mercury Theater 1935 Silver Supporting Member

With Fark Marner he formed Grand Trunk Railroad

2. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

Yeah, I think it would be pretty cool to hang with Sammy.

drlucky likes this.
  3. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Man, reading Sammy interviews...could he patronize “poor Mikey” any more?! Geez.

WornFrets and sahhas like this.
  4. kbraker51

kbraker51 Member

maybe MA cut his financial ties with them to not be involved in the BS of the business. That way he can do his part and not have to deal with all the dramatics and tiring business process.

5. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Why does all this stuff come out and it's ALWAYS Michael Anthony and/or Sammy "filling everyone in" on how it really went down?
    And how much money do you think MA made off the original VH albums before his contract / share was renegotiated? Do you think he made some cash? I wonder...

6. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I’m sure he made a shitload between the ‘80-‘83.

According to Noel Monk, their first record contract was a terrible 2 year deal. Once they renegotiated, they had one of the most lucrative contracts in the business.

That is until 1984,
    If a book about the world’s most hard-partying band can have a truly heartbreaking moment, Runnin’ With The Devil’s takes place in the middle of their 1984 tour. Van Halen is at the height of it success, with a monster album (also called 1984) and the singles “Jump” and “Panama” receiving enormous airplay on radio and MTV. Years ago as kids, playing in those Pasadena backyards, they agreed to be true partners, sharing all the income equally. Now playing to sold out stadiums, that arrangement no longer suited everyone. David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen wrote the band’s songs, and drummer Alex Van Halen had the protection of his brother Eddie — which left bass player Michael Anthony to take the blow. He was asked to give up his royalties, not just moving forward, but pre-dated to before the release of the current album. “In all my years in the business, it was the most disgusting thing I ever saw,” says Monk, still filled with revulsion, as though it happened yesterday. “They didn’t just cut him out, they did it in the middle of one of their biggest records. He was the nicest guy in the world and they didn’t even let him get the benefit of that album. He lost millions. MILLIONS. My stomach turned flips.”

In Sammy’s book he talks about the pie getting cut up again once he joined. Leaving Mikey with even less.

HugoTheCat and shadow mask like this.
  7. PdL

PdL Silver Supporting Member

Who else would you expect to share such info? The chances of Eddie or DLR, or even Alex, ever going on record about screwing one of their long time bandmates out of a sh*t ton of money is close to zero.

Of course MA made a ton of $ prior to the brothers VH + DLR kicking him in the n*ts via that reduction his piece of the pie. But no matter how much dough MA made in the years prior it’s still gotta’ sting knowing that, at the end of the day, the three guys w/ whom he invested so much energy & so many hours of his life didn’t really give a flying f*ck about him.

8. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I know this is going to sound super harsh (and life is NOT fair), but the fact is that MA contributed very little to VH in the grand scheme of things from a songwriting perspective. The idea of all for one, one for all in the beginning when you aren't making **** is super easy to handle. Once the money started flowing in it makes complete sense to restructure things accordingly. I would even argue that Alex has a much larger "stamp" on the VH sound then MA ever did aside from some super high backing vocals.
    Why don't people crucify Bon Jovi for outsting Alec John Such?
    And my understanding is that they re-negotiated with MA and he AGREED to the deal... why? If it's so unfair why not just bail immediately?

sahhas likes this.
  9. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Supporting Member

Say what you want, Mike is cool

stratadp, KHAN, FiestaRed and 2 others like this.
  10. PdL

PdL Silver Supporting Member

From a songwriting perspective, the vast majority of the contributions were made by EVH. Of course MA made very little contributions - why would he? Eddie certainly wasn’t short of ideas, and being a control freak & egomaniac it seems unlikely he’d have entertained other band members contributions anyway. DLR wrote the lyrics, of course, but that’s neither here nor there as w/o Eddie generating the songs there wouldn’t have been any need for lyrics.

I’d say MA’s backing vocals were a more notable contribution to VH’s sound than Alex’s drumming. Take away those high harmony vocals & you’ve lost a huge part of what made VH accessible to listeners of mainstream FM rock radio in the late ‘70s > mid ‘90s.

Save for the handful of Bon Jovi tunes that were in steady rotation on MTV & FM radio back in the day I’m not very familiar w/ the band, or w/ any questionable (?) decisions Jon may have made on behalf of the group. What was Alec John Such’s role in Bon Jovi?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Balok likes this.
  11. 27sauce

27sauce Member

MA background vocals and cash were crucial to their radio success.

“As typical in the music business, Monk learned that money also needed to flow out the other way to keep the band a success. When Van Halen’s second album was about to be released, an executive at Billboard asked him where he “wanted” the album to land on the charts — a favor that would be repaid by advertising.”I was shocked, I really lost my cherry on that one,” says Monk. “But I had to think quick. I told him ‘well if we start at 5 or 6 we have no place to go, maybe we should do the low 40s.’ I had no idea this existed.” And later, when the band’s fourth album, Fair Warning, wasn’t selling well, Monk learned the payola system in radio was still alive and well. In top markets a $5,000 payment would be needed to get more airplay. Monk estimated it would take “a couple hundred thousand dollars” to help make the album go platinum, which the group eventually approved. As he recalls David Lee Roth saying, “We can’t afford to be just a gold band anymore.”

12. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

I need to reread the Monk book. Sadly, for most bands who "make it" or get successful, being in a band is a Business, it's not a bunch of friends just having fun....
    I know it's easy to point fingers and do the blame thing, but the fact is if he wasn't contributing to the writing of the songs, then he probably got a bigger share than was needed. I know everyone talks about the harmony backgrounds, but how many bands just hire some backup singers to do the stuff in the studio.
    I don't really know the answer, but we know the outcome, and I doubt it will ever change

27sauce likes this.
  13. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

Mental health? Oh wait, metal health!

27sauce likes this.
  14. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

What aggravated me was it was like Eddie was trying to erase Micheal Anthony's role. They even removed his pic from the website for a while. Then he said Anthony was a lousy bassist and he (Eddie) had to write and show him all the parts.

Nobody's perfect, but I can't think of a more down to Earth rock star than Michael Anthony.

15. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

Mike has a choice:
    He says to Irving "Go pound sand" and then the fans cry and Mike looks like a bad guy to the fans because he didn't play nice and ruined the reunion of the original band.
    Or he says "I'm in" and then the fans cry because Mike didn't display a backbone and let the other guys walk all over him.

He can't win either way.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  16. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

Sammy, for as much as he seems like such a cool guy, does come off with a "me thinks he doth protest too much" vibe at times.

27sauce likes this.
  17. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

Fascinating.
    I see the truth of it.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Kentano2000 and aliensporebomb like this.
  18. mcp

mcp Member

The illegitimate child of Ann Landers and Dr Phil.

Papanate and FenderBigot like this.
  19. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

wow, what a surprise...DLR got on EVH's nerves again and Ed & Al decided they didn't feel like reuniting with the original lineup again. I don't know why they bother even entertaining the idea.

20. vadsy

vadsy Member

to keep the online forums buzzing, fans with bated breath and to show everyone how massively overpraised they are