Michael Anthony was an asset to VH. BUT....

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Tbone135, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

...put yourself in Ed's shoes. He gets to play music he loves with his son and his brother! Michael is a fantastic harmonizing singer, an extremely average bassist, and apparently a true team player. Wolfgang is an outstanding bassist and from what I've seen, a pretty decent singer as well. There are three Van Halens in the band now, and that's probably a pretty big reason they're doing this at all. Wouldn't you do the same thing as well?

2. Ultron

Ultron Member

that's where you lost me.

3. Rogue

Rogue Supporting Member

Michael Anthony is more popular now that he is not with VH than he was when he was with them.

4. mickey69

mickey69 Member

my personal non informed theory is that Wolf is a huge reason Ed has been straight lately, thus allowing for the possibility of anything happening at all.

5. gproud5150

gproud5150 Member

Yeah, this bugs me too. Wolfgang does do a fantastic job on the album, but this revisionist history discounting Mike's bass playing to justify giving Wolfgang a passing grade just isn't right.

Mike did add something to VH, both with his vocals, and with his playing. Just let it be and move on. Mike and the VH guys all have.

6. V-Type

V-Type Member

You know this is essentially because MA wouldnt/couldnt stop working contractually with Sammy and Ed was warming up too the Roth fronted idea so in Eds mind there was a conflict with MA.
    Also of note is Sammy sure has tried too muscle in on the anti Vh rants as of late.
    and honestly as petty as Hagar has sounded Im not all that sure he wants MA back with VH at All.
    Where would that leave Sammy?
    Its a F'd game.

7. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I'm not saying Mike wasn't important! He was, but he was a workman-type player at the bass at best. Ever see his bass solos with the band live? It was pretty ridiculous. I'm not dissing him at all, this is really more about EVH getting to play with his family. Who wouldn't tour the world with their son playing to their right?

8. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

Here he is. Nobody knows who he is in the regular world.

9. V-Type

V-Type Member

Also of note MA will see money from all this VH/Roth reunion in moneys from songs he wrote being performed as well as interest in past VH albums both Roth and Sammy era so Mike benefits even though he isnt present.
    I think its unfair too judge Mike on Bass solos his forte is in a walking rhythm that allows a guitarist to play riffs and leads without drops in groove which MA excelled in.
    Im the One and Simple Rhyme are good examples of both his vocal and bass abilities.

10. KazJY

KazJY Member

I think what would (or might) have worked, was keep Mikey in the band, and let Wolfy play at the end of the first set, or something like that. split it up or something.

This worked for Gov't Mule for a few years before they got another permanent bassist on board - I'd see 2 bassists play one show. I think everyone would have been ok with that.

11. gproud5150

gproud5150 Member

I'll admit his bass solo was more entertainment/blowing off steam than any kind of musical statement, and I also realize that any number of bass players would have worked in VH from the beginning (Mike Stone anyone?), but it just seems lately a lot of people are discounting Mike's contribution/importance, especially in relation to his actual bass skills, in order to justify why he isn't there anymore, when it has nothing to do with either of those in reality.

Sorry if it seemed like I was calling you out specifically. I didn't mean to.

We can't sit here in the present and say 'Mike wasn't all that great a bass player anyway, and didn't contribute to the VH legacy (or anyone could have done it)', when the fact of the matter is, he was there, he did contribute, and he was integral to it. He's not in it anymore, and it seems like we care a hell of a lot more than he does.

His legacy in VH is solid in my books. His bass skills are not available for debate. He's playing bass still and having a hell of a good time. Wolfgang's playing on the new album is very, very good.

My 2 cents...

12. Ben R

Ben R Member

I said this in another thread earlier today. I love how Michael Anthony has suddenly become the glue of this band to some people. I remember as a kid that he was pretty much considered to be an afterthought. He's a really nice guy and can sing nice backing vocals. But, he was always the Ringo of this band. As someone earlier said, his "solo" in every concert was my chance to hit the men's room and relieve myself. While Mike had his positives, Wolf seems to have different ones. It's still "Van Halen" to me.

13. JamminJoe

JamminJoe Member

I don't think anyone ever underestimated MA's contributions on BG vocals - they're a big part of the VH sound. But it's revisionist history to say his bass playing is/was awesome. Wolfgang's playing actually turns your head. And his vocals are pretty darn good. Look at it this way, with Eddie's genes and the fact that he's playing a different instrument (so he won't be constantly compared to dad), Wolfgang can make a name for himself. It is funny that the haters can hang their hats on "well his vocals aren't on par with MA." The kid is talented, no doubt, and has revitalized the band.

I am not dissing MA at all, he is a classy guy. Just saying let's appreciate VH's comeback.

14. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry

Regular world? :huh I bet I'm missing out on something over there! :mmm

15. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

It was always speculated that EVH played bass on some of the old VH tunes, I'm wondering if he also handled some bass chores on this album.

16. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Member

As important as MA is to the "classic" VH sound, vocally. I would want my son with me if it were my band. I don't know, but I would assume Eddie missed a lot of Wolf's childhood, between the touring and drinking.

17. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I think everybody wins. V freaking H is back, and MA is part of the Chickenfoot thing. Lots of money to be made.

18. guitarcrazy2004

guitarcrazy2004 Member

No Wolfgang............No more Van Halen

19. Ben R

Ben R Member

Watch the live clips on youtube from Hollywood 2 nights ago. Also, the "Cafe Wha" clips from last month in New York City. Wolf played the bass live on the new songs and they sound exactly like they do on the record. It's him.

20. GFR4LYF

GFR4LYF Member

I don't know, I'm on the old proverbial "fence post" on this one. Yes Michael was an original member of Van Halen, his vocals and bass playing at most times were great, but what I'm going to miss the most about Michael is his "Jack Daniels" bass. But I also think it's great that Edward is playing with his son in his band. And what father would'nt want that?