Michael Gregory Jackson

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Neer, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Neer

Neer Member

...is probably the most criminally under-heard talent that I can think of. Some of us 40-plus guys will remember his name from the cut-out bins in the 80s. His music is a unique cross-fertilization of Avant-garde Jazz, Folk and Soul. What a unique genius and a wonderful singer.

If you haven't had a chance to listen to him, there are the tracks from his 1976 LP Clarity online for download, but you can preview the entire track (once). These are acoustic pieces with horns. He also plays electric guitar on some of his own recordings and on Oliver Lake and Pheeroan akLaff dates. His '82 record What From Where was my introduction to his music and he used drum machines and stuff like that in such ingenious ways.

Clarity
    A View Of This Life

There is a huge number of musicians that I think younger musicians with a hunger for something different would appreciate. A few other examples I can think of--some of the bands now extinct: Steve Coleman's Five Elements, Jean-Paul Bourelly, Kelvyn Bell, Craig Ross, Bushrock w/Delmar Brown, Ronald Shannon Jackson, Defunkt....have any you care to add to the list?

2. Marble

Marble Member

He should have went by Greg Jackson

3. pete kanaras

pete kanaras Member

mgj is an utterly unique voice. what's he up to these days?

4. KRosser

KRosser Member

I still have a bunch of his IAI stuff on vinyl. The Oliver Lake Trio that he was in was a pretty ground-breaking band, I think

5. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

mgj is a great player, musician & a kindred spirit;
    we chat, still, once in a blue while.
    he's still making music, still playing, writing & producing and, afaik,
    is still a hell of a tennis-player (and tennis-pro).

added to that list of bands-of-that-general-day-gone-missing, but by no means meant to be either complete or "authoritative":
    julius hemphill's dogon ad, oliver lake's jump-up, the slickaphonics, james blood ulmer,
    pierre dørge's new jungle orchestra,
    naked city, the lounge lizards, and (gotta say it) the everyman band.
    meanwhile, harriet tubman is certainly alive & kicking,
    and there's clearly a new generation of electric/electroacoustic improvisational bands out & playing (thankfully, imo).....

dt / spltrcl

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  6. pete kanaras

pete kanaras Member

"dogon ad" is one hell of an album, and i have a copy (signed i think) of "clarity" back at my mom's in ny. i saw mgj once at karl berger's creative music studio in woodstock, early-mid 80's. man that place was amazing, and unique to this day. glad to hear he's still making music

7. teleharmonium

teleharmonium Member

I haven't heard his more commercial stuff, but Clarity is great, and I've never not liked him as a sideman where as noted above he turns up in some interesting groups. Dogon AD is mandatory listening. Didn't know he played with Pierre Dorge (himself a rewarding guitarist to listen to).

8. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

mgj played w/pierre?
    ¿didn't even realise that?
    those were not mgj sideman gigs i was pointing to;
    but was meant as a response to this:

please forgive my lack of clarity, there.

and:
    oops! did i say "craig" dørge? i'll fix that!
    my bad.

dt / spltrcl

9. Neer

Neer Member

New York in the 80s and early 90s was absolutely overflowing with great music, whatever style you were into. The Avant Jazz scene was very fertile and there was a great coalition of musicians. I am very happy to have been around to see and hear a lot of it. When I think back to bands like Kelvynator and Bushrock and Third Kind Of Blue and Five Elements, it makes me feel real nostalgic.

BTW, everyone should have a copy of Steve Coleman's Five Elements' "Sine Die". It's a great record.

10. teleharmonium

teleharmonium Member

Sorry splatt, I misunderstood, thought you were saying they had played together. Anyhoo I like all that stuff ref. in the post you were replying to, except, not familiar with Craig Ross or Bushrock. I'd add Bern Nix, in any group inc. Prime Time, Contortions/James White and the Blacks, or as a leader, to that list.

11. diego

diego Member

Delmar Brown and Bushrock. Wow. It's been years since I've listened to the recording I have. Great to hear a mention.