Michael Hedges Fans

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Mr.Hanky, Aug 5, 2006.

1. gregc

gregc Member

Damn, what a talent. I miss Mike~

2. elambo

elambo Member

Not my favorite composition of his, but "seeing" it instead of just hearing it is great. Is there a resource for more videos of his performances?

3. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

www.nomadland.com is still his active website. I saw him live a few years back in NJ. One of the more amazing and captivating live performers I have ever seen. Two hours of solo guitar and vocals (with subtle use of backing tracks). Nothing short of astounding.

4. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

There are a few on youtube too, he was just awesome!
    Never got to see him which is too bad.
    Live on a double planet is still one of my favorites.

Here is all along the watchtower from 1988
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTrh3PMdDD4

5. zappafrank

zappafrank Member

Count me in as a fan---I was lucky enough to see him live 4 times---even 'bought the T-Shirt'---I miss him too---unbelievable creativity and soulfulness---

Thanks for the vids and 'nomad' links, guys---

ac

6. kilgorekid

kilgorekid Member

I guess I'm not in tune with the times-What happened to Michael?

7. kilgorekid

kilgorekid Member

I googled and found out he was killed in a car crash in 1997.

8. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Great clip. I was introduced to his music randomly through an Xmas gift, his album "Breakfast in the field," from my mom when I was about 13 or 14 or so. I was playing guitar a lot and she thought I'd dig it. How right she was... He seems like such a nice guy and I really appreciate that while he's obviously very technically gifted, there's always soul behind what he's playing. Great stuff.

9. Bear

Bear Member

In my small town, all you have to do is just "check-it-out" at the local *library*! That's where I found out about him...and, quite a few other "video performances". Many people forget about the "library"....they're not *just books*...although I hear the **AA is trying hard to BAN many of the "contribtions". How ironic! I wouldn't have bought his stuff had it not been for the *library*! I can't afford to just buy everything in sight and HOPE that I get a "jewel" like M.H. ....which would NEVER be played on any of OUR local stations.

10. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I saw MH play several times in the greater Philly area. In fact, I saw him play just two weeks before he died. That last performance was incredible, the best I'd seen of him. Needless to say, I was in a state of shock when I heard the news of his death.....and I still am in some ways. :(

Michael was one of the most amazing creative guitarist/musicians and I feel so fortunate to have been graced with his music.

11. LesPaulMan

LesPaulMan Member

I saw him on the "Taproot Tour", which was back around '91?
    To this day, it's one of the best concerts I've ever seen.

We all lost something special the day he died.

12. suttree

suttree Member

saw that tour, in toronto. miss the t-shirt, it was horrible, just a big ol' mudflap on the front of it, but i loved it.

i had front row center seats for the show, and he broke a nail and borrowed my nail clippers. made fun of my keychain! one of my best concert memories ever. we did certainly lose something special when he died.

13. jordanL

jordanL Member

I first saw MH perform back in college, it was 85 or 86, his Aerial Boundaries album had just came out. I knew nothing about him, but went on the recommendation of a friend. Opening act was a New age pianist, then this guy with hair down to his butt, barefoot and a Martin did one of the most unique performances I ever saw. He came back later that year, and broke out the Harp guitar. Met him after the show, seemed like a nice guy.

I also saw him perform around '94-with Michael Manring.

Such a unique player.

14. rgsss14

rgsss14 Gold Supporting Member

Miss him too.

"Ragamuffin" was my favorite and is a blast to play (of course not as well as he does).

"Bensusan" is the other one.

15. billv

billv Member

The song "Aerial Boundaries" still gives me chills after all these years. I'll never forget how astounded I was when I heard the song for the first time on Towson University's old student radio station.

I got to see him live in a split billing show with Leo Kottke. Late '80s. They were both awesome!

16. greasykid

greasykid Member

Hey, this is freaky! I just read this joke and was wondering who Michael Hedges was then went to TGP and this is the latest posted-on thread when I got here.

A fingerstyle guitarist dies and is quite please to find that he ends up standing before the pearly gates of Guitar Heaven. St. Peter shows him in, and gives him a guided tour.

"This is Chet Atkins room here..." says Peter, and the guitarist is saying "Wow! Chet Atkins!" "And this is Merle Travis' room here and Marcel Dadi's is over there..." and the Fingerstyle Guitarist is totally in awe.

Finally Peter shows the guitarist to his own room. Before Peter leaves, he says to him, "I have to ask. Is Hedges here?" Peter shakes his head sadly and says "I'm afraid he needed to... spend time in Purgatory. But he'll be along soon enough."

The guitarist is disappointed but goes to his room and tries to get some sleep. He's woken up in the middle of the night by someone playing - a Harp Guitar - and it sounds just like Michael. He presses his ear to the wall, and listens more closely. Someone in the next room was now playing... it can't be .... a fingerstyle version of “Pinball Wizard”. The fingerstyle guitarist is confused as it sounds so much like Michael Hedges. The next day he tells Peter that he is almost certain that Hedges is in the next room.

Peter pulls him to one side, and whispers into his ear, "Shhh.... don't tell anyone. That's God. He thinks he's Michael Hedges"

17. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

I had the opprotunity to see Michael in Lexington,KY. in 1994.Hands
    down one of the best shows i have ever seen in my life.Got to meet him
    backstage.Very humble,unassuming,which is in stark contrast to his
    talent.He even let my friend take a look at his sound system and board.
    How many artists would take the time to accomidate his fans in such a
    fashion.I still miss his artistry and his musicianship.If you listen to the
    wind,you can still hear him play.

18. Shadscbr

Shadscbr Member

Like a lot of us here, I was lucky enough to see Michael live. I had just started at Penn State, and a buddy and I made the trip to a church at Lebanon Valley College around 1990. He totally blew me away...what an inspiration.

"i carry your heart" was the song we danced to at our wedding reception.

I almost always have a MH disc in heavy rotation...he is definately missed.

Shad

19. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Beautiful marriage between an ee cummings poem and Michael's musical imagination. And what a beautiful sentiment to be dancing to at one's wedding........nice!