Michael Hedges

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Pidgin English, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

I never listened to Michael Hedges until this week. I've heard of him from time to time and I remember him being featured in guitar magazines about 20 years ago. I think he had just passed away.

What an amazing guitar player. He plays stuff on solo acoustic that sounds like it's multiple people playing at the same time!

RGB, StrBender, pete12string and 21 others like this.
  2. The_Bell

The_Bell Member

As your personal Pandora: Check out Don Ross and Andy Mckee as well if you haven't.

s2y, Lotis, Losov and 3 others like this.
  3. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

I have not ever checked them out. I will, thank you :)

screamtone and The_Bell like this.
  4. ontariomaximus

ontariomaximus Member

Aerial Boundaries is a masterpiece, and I am not using that word loosely

s2y, Dexter.Sinister, GerryJ and 33 others like this.
  5. dblazer

dblazer Supporting Member

I met him in the late 80s when I worked at a black and white photo lab in Oakland, CA. We did a lot of work for Windham Hill Records and his photographer, Irene Young.

Real nice guy, I went to see him in Berkeley somewhere.

6. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Yeah, he was the level-up "Hendrix moment" on acoustic guitar.

Lotis, dblazer, willyboy and 10 others like this.
  7. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

I was lucky enough to see Michael Hedges in a tiny basement club with less than 100 people. I was probably 10 feet from him. He had a stereo effect on his guitar and it was mesmerizing. I've also seen Martin Sexton live at small clubs several times and he's another guy that makes a huge sonic imprint with just a guitar.

RGB, peter_heijnen, b_goatman and 2 others like this.
  8. tenchijin2

tenchijin2 Member

My uncle Mark was a huge fan of his, back in about 1990 or so. He showed me videos and stuff. Guy was amazing for sure. I saw him open for Crosby, Stills, and Nash in Salem, OR (he was Eugene native) back in about 1992. He was great.

9. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

i've posted this a few years ago, but i grew up in NW OK about 75 minutes from Enid, OK where MH spent much of his youth and attended Phillips University. My grandfather was friends with the ORIGINAL Gibson road rep, a gentleman named Neal Penner, who was in his 80s in the 80s and was on a first name basis for 50 years with everyone from Les Paul to Jimmy Page and others. Anyway, i bought my first real guitar, a 1967 SG Deluxe (wish i still had it....) in 85 when i was 14. As were looking thru his absolutely stunning collection of at least a hundred vintage Gibsons and Gretsch and Martin acoustics, i saw a HUGE black case leaned up against the wall and asked him what it was? He grinned an said, "it's this rare harp guitar that this hippy kid here in town asked me to find for him. apparently he's headed out to California to become a big star." i opened it up and could barely hold it, but strummed it a few times. it was killer.

a few months later, i get my Guitar Player magazine, and it's on the cover. this famous cover: https://images.app.goo.gl/gnvJiVDK79ovaEnE6

i was lucky enough to see MH play with the Phillips Symphony Orchestra there in Enid, after he was very well known, and it was effortlessly mesmerizing. can't believe i just stumbled on this VHS recording of that actual show in 1989!

His collaborations with the incredible MIchael Manring, the CD Taproot in particular, are among my most treasured musical memories. his version of "i carry your heart" is one of the most haunting and lyrical vocal tunes ever recorded INHO.

I can't believe he's been gone almost 23 years.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  10. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

Taproot came out right as I was starting college at the beginning of the 90's. This group of friends of mine would get together after classes ended at 4pm and sit around and drink tea or coffee, roll joints and listen to music. Taproot and Live from the Double Planet were often played, along with the customary Dead show on cassette that would always be played to one-up the offering from the day before, rated for obscurity and sound quality. We took this very seriously.
    But we all went and saw Hedges at Mud Island amphitheater in Memphis on that tour opening up for CSN. He was mesmerizing to watch, and surprisingly relaxed and conversational on stage being a single performer.
    Thanks for posting this thread and bringing to mind some pleasant memories from simpler times.

Lution, Jimi1983, Batch and 2 others like this.
  11. townsend

townsend Member

I became a big fan of Michael Hedges, owning most of his CDs (except maybe one). He passed in 1997; here is his website: http://nomadland.com/

I and many other fans have long be hoping for some concert footage to be released, either in DVD or blu-ray. At first, it seemed like everything was held up in "musical rights." Well, guess what -- nothing, and I mean zero video, has been released. I do remember watching a concert on cable TV back in the day. Sure there are lots of snippets on youtube, but short and of varying quality.

And to me, he is not like anybody else out there. PERIOD. His creativity and song writing were sui generis, and he was trail blazing. I liked his vocals too.

Hush, Digital Larry, Jimi1983 and 5 others like this.
  12. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

I saw him in a small venue in '94. One of the best shows I've ever seen.

R.I.P. :(

13. Big Al Z

Big Al Z Member

The sun of Daytona Beach ( formerly NE Ohio )
    “Hey what happed to your hair?? It’s still there I just reeled it in!!”

Great comeback from Mr Hedges at a small club in Nashville.

14. Waylander

Waylander Member

He wasn't just another guitar hero. IMHO he was the total package. Guitar player extraordinaire, good singer and a superb entertainer.
    Whenever I see (or hear) this, there's a big :) on my face:

15. monty

monty Member

I remember having my mind blown away as a kid when GP had a soundpage of his playing.

16. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

i had one of his later albums, i'll have to look it up, it was really good. he was a great player, such a tragic loss when he died.

stanshall, Jimi1983, monty and 2 others like this.
  17. Batch

Batch Member

His music was life-changing for me.... I didn't discover him until 93 or 94... was fortunate enough to see him live 3 times, and met him after the last show... I felt like a teenage girl meeting a pop star! He was incredibly gracious and autographed the program for me... unfortunately, I lost it in the meth fire (what I call my divorce)

Waylander, Lution, Jimi1983 and 3 others like this.
  18. rwe333

rwe333 Member

Brilliant musician/composer.

buddaman71 likes this.
  19. HomeInMyShoes

HomeInMyShoes Member

Been a while since I listened to the Michael Hedges in my collection. Good memories of where I was in life hearing these songs.

Glad you discovered him Pidgin.

buddaman71 and sixesandsevens like this.
  20. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

My first was Taproot. My favorite is probably still Double Planet. A lot of folks don't dig his singing but I do. His live versions of Lucky Star and Buffalo Stance are still a revelation to me about how badly I had misjudged pop music simply because I was too judgemental about the arrangements.

Regarding the Candy Rat folks like McKee and Ross they're great, but Hedges has this OG swagger...

Lution, Gasp100, Jimi1983 and 2 others like this.