Michael Hedges

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Pidgin English, Apr 1, 2020.

1. whatizitman

whatizitman Member

Had Ragamuffin in my head for several days last week. Pulled up Aerial Boundaries on Spotify. Sounded as amazing as ever. Brought me right back. It’s been over 20 years. Still can’t believe he’s gone.

buddaman71 and derekd like this.
  2. stanshall

stanshall Member

in the back of a dream car twenty foot long
    fantastic, thanks for posting this Digital Larry!

3. quilsaw

quilsaw Member

I met Michael Hedges once while managing the stage for the Solstice Festival at Chena Hot Springs AK in 1984. He pretty much blew my mind, even if I'd been somewhat "prepared" by earlier exposure to Leo Kottke. This was something else altogether. Did get to see him perform one other time at Red Rocks in 1986. Never had another chance. "Follow Through" was (for me) the high point of that last show I saw.

Bluplirst, buddaman71 and Lution like this.
  4. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

I saw Hedges a few times and actually got a chance to speak with him a bit after one show. He was hugely influential to a lot of players.

derekd likes this.
  5. General_Specific

General_Specific Member

Unfortunately he spawned a few copycats. They pop up on my Spotify. Nothing wrong with it I guess, but Michael Hedges was special to me.

Lution likes this.
  6. aussie_owner

aussie_owner Member

I got to see him twice live, once in 1994 with Michael Manring, and again in 1996 solo. The second show was one of the best shows I ever saw. We had excellent seats at a small bar, and he was mesmerizing. I still have my autographed copy of the Oracle CD. He was truly one of a kind, his mastery of the harp guitar was incredible to watch.

I also have a bootleg video of one of the last shows he ever played, recorded about three weeks before his passing. Not the greatest quality, but it's an entire show. I should get it transferred to digital for safe keeping. I also have the "Evening with Windham Hill" DVD that has performance footage of MH. It's been on public TV, which is where I first became aware of him back in the early 80s.

And, I want a harp guitar.

buddaman71, derekd and quilsaw like this.
  7. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Member

I went through a period of a year where MH was all I listened to in the car while driving to work etc.

I was living in Palo Alto in the early 80's when he was just coming up, playing a lot of local gigs at the New Varsity theatre on University. Once I was in a small record shop and he was flipping through whatever they had there and I had the gumption to talk to him for a few minutes. I'd been listening to John Renbourn and Pierre Bensusan but didn't think to bring those guys up as they seemed a little far away from his trailblazing approach. Years later I was in Mendocino at the grocery store, had no idea he was living there, but caught his eye across the room, smiled, he smiled back, not that he knew me or anything.

The owner of the New Varsity at that time had the presence of mind to video tape a lot of his performances many of which are on YouTube, along with some "private lessons", e.g.

etc...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  8. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

I so miss Michael. What might have come......heartbreaker of an ending.

Jimi1983, Lution and 6Tones like this.
  9. Johnny_guitar

Johnny_guitar Member

Check out "Candyrat Records." It's like Michael Hedges on steroids.

10. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Her is a great cover he did. I love his take on this.

Jimi1983 likes this.
  11. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Here are Raggamuffin, Black Mountainside, and Black Waterside.

I think its possible Michael may have been influenced.

SnidelyWhiplash and buddaman71 like this.
  12. 6Tones

6Tones Member

Hendrix of the acoustic guitar .He never played a song the same way live, always spontaneous and in the moment,expressive and extremely innovate. Very few like him come along. Still get sad that hes not around but his music lives.

13. quilsaw

quilsaw Member

LOL, I know what you mean. I actually got to (try to) play an original Dyer once that my luthier/tech was working on. I might need a little more time with that :p.

14. Rob-bob

Rob-bob Member

I was lucky enough to see Michael several times in the mid to late 80's. Tiny place, I think it sat 80. Stage was a plywood platform on two by fours, so if you got there early enough to get the front row, you could just about touch the performers. And it was very casual. Michael always came out to hang with the audience during intermission and after the show, so I got to talk with him enough that he remembered my name. Fabulous person, fabulous player, still bummed he's gone.

TubeStack likes this.
  15. peter_heijnen

peter_heijnen Member

Amazing, why have i never even heard about this guy?

16. Joe O

Joe O Member

Michael was amazing. I saw him in a small club a couple weeks before he passed away, and he blew everybody's mind. The soundcheck ran late, because he spent so much time with the soundman, getting the sound just right. Sure enough, once the show started (pretty sure it was Aerial Boundaries) I couldn't believe how powerful of a sound he got with just his guitar. He was truly a one man band, and then some. And he didn't use a looper. There was a massive PA system, with big subs, and he certainly used them to great effect. Not one bit of feedback, either. A rich, deep sound that drew you in. And this was in a club that usually had horrible sound & acoustics.

At some points, you could hear a pin drop, with a packed room. Captivated everybody.

He also sang, did yoga and told jokes between songs, and even did a shot that was offered to him. The most entertaining and innovative acoustic guitarist I've ever seen. He had the D-28, the Lowden, and the harp guitar.

Aerial Boundaries the album is fantastic; very well-recorded and a good representation of what he did. The real shame of his passing, though, is that so many folks won't be able to appreciate his brilliance as a performer. There are some good videos of him, but it's not the same as in the room with a massive PA. A huge loss when he left us.

17. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

In a previous thread, I recounted a show in Veneta Orygun that was the spiritually deepest experience I have had. Transformative and remains a well to which I return when in need.

That is something.

What has not yet been mentioned is that he was not strictly an acoustic musician and his TransTrem use is among the best examples of that remarkable device. In tune chords transposed smoothly with glissando is very beautiful.

Joe O, derekd and Bluplirst like this.
  18. lhallam

lhallam Member

Michael was a fan of Frank Zappa. Apparently they knew each other. Here is Michael doing a Zappa's Sofa #1.

19. whatizitman

whatizitman Member

Soooo, this weekend I started learning Ragamuffin. I imagine I'll eventually get through the first two "verses" of the arrangement. The "chorus" is just insane. I've never tried DADGAD before, either. It's been nice playing acoustic, though. My wife likes that I don't have to hide in the mancave to play since I don't need to plug in.

I'm not a good fingerpicker. Never been. This is a new world for me.

Digital Larry likes this.
  20. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

I was lucky to see him play live and meet him briefly in Baltimore. An all-time great, unpretentious and extremely funny person. Watch him on video wherever you can.