Michael Kelly Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Agerst1574, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Agerst1574

Agerst1574 Member

Looking at purchasing a Michael Kelly 1953 Series guitar and am wondering if anyone has any reviews or comment about this line or any of their guitars.

2. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Member

In my experience excellent quality for the money. Their MIK Patriot line was very impressive compared to anything at a comparable price point.

deathrider817 likes this.
  3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Those look really nice to me too. I owned an MK years ago and for a while one of their distributors was right down the street, so I got to see an play a lot of them. Good guitars for the money. I would expect the 1953 to be a great buy.

4. jim crouch

jim crouch Member

I have the 1953 Blue Jean Wash and it is one of the best Tele type guitars I've ever owned. Has dual stack rear pickup that you can engage and really drive your amp. You can go from a country type sound than engage both rear coils and it rocks. it is the best buy for under$400. it keeps up with guitars twice the price. I am considering a Patriot soon.

5. onemoretime

onemoretime Member

I can't speak for that model in particular, but I have owned 2 Patriot Customs and both were head and shoulders above the Epiphones and others in its price range.

6. jim crouch

jim crouch Member

It is a fantastic guitar.

7. tonydetiger

tonydetiger Supporting Member

I owned a 1953 in Blue Jean Wash. Overall, a very good guitar. It was nice to see a manufacturer offer an affordable tele style guitar with a forearm contour and a belly cut.

As another poster mentioned, the bridge pickup is a stacked single coil. You can go from a vintage tele tone to a damn good rock tone by using/turning off the coil tap.

What made me sell it was the neck profile. It felt a little too chunky for my taste and wasn't comfortable to play. It also felt a little neck heavy.

8. Auriemma

Auriemma Member

I had a Patriot Q years ago. Very solid, well built, great looking at playing guitar.