Michael Landau on Dumble

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rock72, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Rock72

Rock72 Member

In the September 2009 issue of Guitarist there is an interview with Michael Landau where he briefly discusses Dumble and his amps:

Do you still have your Dumble amp?

"Yeah, I have a Slide Winder. It's a four-input amp, like a Bassman. He's only built a few of them - the first one I saw was a combo. Eric Johnson has one I think. In fact he built me an Overdrive Special and it's been done for for around six months, but trying to hook up with Dumble is a little difficult sometimes. He's really a great guy - have you ever met him? He's a tough cookie to get in there but he's a real sweet dude - he's a trip"

There's so much snake-oil about those amps because they're so rare - what do they do for you?

"Well it's just about his attention, you know. He'll sit down with you and he'll really listen to you play. You'll go out there to his house a couple of times when he's building an amp for you and you'll play through a bunch of stuff. He's real old-school - he sits and listens to you play and he'll tweak an amp in the final stages of develppment - you can really hear it doing stuff. I'm not technical, but it's special. The notes just jump out and they're real big, y'know? It just feel so open. I've used it live and a lot of recording"

In the interview he also mentions the Custom Audio OD100, a Badger and Fender he's using. Great interview.

2. coolhand78

coolhand78 Member

Who's on the cover?

3. gsf

gsf Member

September 2009

4. DamianP

DamianP Member

Johnny Marr.

Damian.

5. TopDog

TopDog "jumping the valence" Silver Supporting Member

Tag in the is interviewed in the next issue also commenting on Dumble - his amp and his search for D'tones.

6. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Thats right! Howie and I go through each and all of the "clones", and state where and how they all come up short. Stay tuned folks! :D

7. Jim S

Jim S Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

BFD.

Nobody wants to see you and this Howie talk about tone:

[​IMG]

:hide

8. phoghat

phoghat Member

I checked out this thread because I thought it said Michael LANDON on Dumble. Imagine my disappointment.

9. Madison

Madison Member

Found that sentence interesting. The amp has been ready for six months, and even Mike Landau has trouble hooking up. This HAD gentleman becomes more intriguing all the time. Does anyone know exactly where is house is? Anyone see him in K-Mart, or out buying groceries, at the movies, etc... ya know normal stuff that folks do? :dunno I have to keep reminding myself that he is alive & well!

10. PFunk

PFunk Member

dumbleland.

11. les

les Gold Supporting Member

Slide Winder

Hmm... never heard of that circuit before...

Anyone know anything about it?

12. jbp

jbp Member

I assume that's a joke, no?

13. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

My brother (who is as non-gearhead as it gets) and I ran into him about 3 years ago. I said "How's it goin?" and he gave me a sort of twisted wrist handshake, and was actually chatty with us (although chatty in this case was more like mumbly Dumbly) I presume, because we weren't talking about amps. He had his biker gear on and didn't look particularly healthy.

As my and brother and I walked away, he asked me "Who was that?" The only thing that sounds more ridiculous than the whole Dumble myth/nonsense is trying to explain it to someone else. He replied "WHAT???" then started to imitate the Dumble-mumble. To this day, when I say Dumble, he, uh....mumbles.
    :D

14. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Anytime a player gets to be there when the tech or builder is doing stuff, there's a huge benefit.

I had a Super Reverb that when I put in new power tubes, I was there at my tech's and we tried different settings. We got it really bang on and that amp always sounded great.

A great tech or builder can add mountains to one's tone.

I guess the question is - when the Dumble gets sold, it's no longer matched to the new player, it sort of loses the magic of having been custom made for a particular musician.

15. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

It's the sitting down for hours with each player that makes these amps so special. In that situation, as a builder, you keep getting pushed with instant feedback from amazing players with great ears. "It's too this, it's too that, it needs more of this", etc. Of course, you have to possess good ears yourself and know how to translate player feedback and what you'd both like to hear into circuit tweaks.

16. TopDog

TopDog "jumping the valence" Silver Supporting Member

You have a good sense of humor TAG.....

17. parker

parker Member

very true, cool interview though.... and the legend continues :Devil

18. ed84246

ed84246 Member

Anyone know what he might have been using on his Live album - the first cut, Worried Life Blues? His tone just kills. Very unique playing and sound.