Michael Lee Firkins

iamdavea

Gold Supporting Member
His debut album was something of a miracle. Young guy (I think he was 23?) comes out of nowhere with an instantly identifiable style, and an album loaded--I mean LOADED--with great hooks and killer songs. Masterly with the "trem as slide" technique. Massive chops that he used with splendid taste. Said in an interview that the beginning of "I Know A Little" always gave him trouble.

sahhas

i had not seen this guitar before: i like the tele styled Yamaha w/ the reverse headstock:
7f89973715d6b81e6b22688c1fe4b794.jpg

tracyk

Oh he also does a fantastic impression of Jason Becker on some of Jason's post-ALS tunes. It's hard to tell it's not Jason playing.

Misterbulbous

I really liked his recent album. Think it came out around 2015. Great music. Never had his ‘80’s releases. I’d highly recommend it.

megawzrd

Silver Supporting Member
Nice version of Voodoo Child (Slight Return) there OP. Great player. Thanks!

I remember I had a hot licks vhs that had him on it amongst others. I didn't even attempt to try any of his licks.

apalazzolo

Silver Supporting Member
His debut album was something of a miracle. Young guy (I think he was 23?) comes out of nowhere with an instantly identifiable style, and an album loaded--I mean LOADED--with great hooks and killer songs. Masterly with the "trem as slide" technique. Massive chops that he used with splendid taste. Said in an interview that the beginning of "I Know A Little" always gave him trouble.
well said!

Stinky Kitty

Silver Supporting Member
'Been a fan forever. He's definitely in the club. :dude FWIW, the guitar above is the Yamaha Pacifica 1200-series with Z-inlays. Cool thing about 'em was the tremolos didn't require the strings to be cut if memory serves me. I went through four or five Japanese Pacificas back in the day. Absolute stellar guitars, especially the high-end neck-thru jobbers.

Last edited:
What ever happened to him?
Lives in NorCal. Only tours in Europe now, it's the only place where it really pays to do so. Put out an album called "Yep" a few years ago. Lots of slide and vocals. Real slide, not the pseudo slide. Turned the amount of gain down significantly long ago. Family oriented guy, likes to be home.

Gig Young

- The McLean Stevenson of guitar -
I also think years ago he's smartly got a day job as a physical therapist.

That's some hard schooling there!!

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
I went through four or five Japanese Pacificas back in the day. Absolute stellar guitars, especially the high-end neck-thru jobbers.

a) MLF has always been a stellar and unique player.

b) 100% agreed. i still have a 1999 self-modded (bridge pickup only) EMG T-loaded lower-cost version of the Mike Stern T-style (MS311) that i picked up slightly used for $150 back in 2007 and have played many hundreds of gigs over the years. i've owned 300+ guitars, many $$$$ Suhr/Fender CS/PRS/etc, and i swear it has the straightest neck with the lowest action and zero buzz than just about any of them.

john weires

I remember hearing his work for the first time in the early 90's. Great tone, distinctive sound and technique.
I then did not hear anymore of his music until over 20 years later and without knowing the song identified the playing as MLF's.

dzeitlin

i remeber that first album coming out and picking it up on a magazine review reccomendation. he played with pat travers on a couple of songs. Michael Lee Firkins - Lead guitar solo on "Just Got Paid" and harmony solo, intro solo, first verse lead fills, and lead solo after first verse on "Statesboro Blues" ...Statesboro Blues Just Got Paid

Trending Topics

Top Bottom