Michael Schenker Gear History

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by NewWorldMan, Dec 26, 2009.

1. NewWorldMan

NewWorldMan Member

Does anyone know what gear Schenker was using through the 70's? I'm particularly curious what he was using in the mid-70's around the "Force It" era up to "Strangers in the Night" around '79. I know a Marshall, but I'm curious to what models, as well speaker types. Also, did he ever use any type of boosts in front for rhythms or leads? Any info is appreciated...thanks!

2. johnrea_77

johnrea_77 Silver Supporting Member

One of his signature techniques was having his wah rocked to a certain frequency and keeping it there. It makes for a distinctive sound, but you have to get the pedal in the sweet spot.

This is the idea behind the Keeley Nova Wah pedal, essentially a "fixed" wah sound.

And, of course, I've never seen Michael Schenker play anything but a Marshall.

lifeson1 likes this.
  3. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I know he used a JCM 800 2205 in the 80's and stuck with that for quite a while...maybe even still, but those weren't made until 81. My guess would be a JMP 2203 or a JMP 2204. The master volume JMP's were made from 76 or so to 81 when the JCM 800 came out. If he used a Marshall before that it must have been a 4 hole non master JMP.

4. StoneAge Cabs

StoneAge Cabs Silver Supporting Member

I read a long time ago that he used 50w non-master volume Marshalls {model 1987 ?}....and used greenbacks.
    Also, alot of that tone he got was due to the V's...

Fishyfishfish likes this.
  5. aroman

aroman Member

BADHAK likes this.
  6. Red Suede

Red Suede Member

+1. Mostly the "V"s secondarily the wah and Marshalls.

7. BarryW

BarryW Member

I saw him with UFO at the Marquee Club in England in 1975. He had two marshalls, big box on the bottom and small on the top. Don't know nuthin else, but he sounded fantastic.

Major Dude and BADHAK like this.
  8. David Robrecht

David Robrecht Blue Fire Silver Supporting Member

I would absolutely agree with what's been said so far. I just heard Rock Bottom on XM today. I swear that it sounds sometimes like he used a fuzz of some sort, but I've never ever heard or read anything to support that. :dunno I know in the early days his pickups were just the stock V variety. Nothing really hot. Must just be him and the Marshalls. Great tone no matter how he got it!
    Dave

9. 4styx

4styx Member

:rolleyes:
    He certainly had it together last summer when I saw him!

10. Balok

Balok Member

That signature tone on Force iT, Phenomenon and No Heavy Petting is a 50 Marshall dimed. You get that very bity top end and slight low end woof and sag as the EL34s breakup. Very early Alex Lifeson got the same tone. After about '76 I think he went to the master models. He recorded with Pignoses as well after '76, and IMO his tone suffered.

11. Swampsnake

Swampsnake Member

I have a few old videos and Guitar Player mags that clearly states and shows him using 4-hole 50 watt Marshalls up through his first MSG incarnation. It was after the breakup of the original MSG line-up that he switched to the 2205 JCM 800 amp during the McCauley- Schenker era. I have never read anything or seen him using any type of pedals with UFO/early MSG except his wah-wah which he didn't start using until later in UFO during their last 2 albums in the late 70's including Strangers in the Night. That's not to say his amps weren't modded in some shape or form. I personally did not care for his tone after the original MSG broke up despite Schenker himself stating that the JCM 800 2205 is his favorite amp. But hey, if he likes it, who am I to say anything.

jkr and BADHAK like this.
  12. Swampsnake

Swampsnake Member

Oh, and speaker options in those cabs were limited then also. He either went with Celestion 25 watt greenbacks or blackbacks or the g12h30 speakers in his cabs. In the late 70's, the 65-watt speaker or 70 watter (ugh) came into play and my guess is that was what he was using during early MSG. The greenback or blackback 25 watters were probably his speakers during the UFO days. He was always a Marshall guy.

BADHAK likes this.
  13. Red Suede

Red Suede Member

I saw him earlier this year. Best rock guitar player i've ever seen.

kustombob and BADHAK like this.
  14. charveldan

charveldan Senior Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul

Looks like JMP's in 1981'.

Here looks like a collection of JMP 4 holers & Master MK II's

Roe likes this.
  15. NewWorldMan

NewWorldMan Member

Thanks for all the input! I was listening to "Force It" again today, great sound. I've never read of him using any pedals, but his leads always seemed more saturated than his rhythms, which I assume were already dimed.

jalmer likes this.
  16. sgmarshall

sgmarshall Member

On Strangers in the Night, he used 50w non master Marshalls, and a crybaby wah, that's it. A lot of his solo tone came from finding the magic position with the wah cocked. During MSG he used 2205s, you can listen to the MSG live album and , hear the difference in tone, a little more gain, seems like a little less bottom end. I've seen some videos on youtube where he was using a TSL, he sounds good regardless of what he plays.

17. 4styx

4styx Member

He actually uses two wahs.On the Live 2004 DVD you can see them.One for wah and the next one has the gear removed.He sets the treble on the amp a notch above zero to compensate.

18. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

A buddy of mine used to have a 70's era Marshall with no master volume. We dimed it once at his house. Got a long cable, went in the adjacent garage, and wailed. What tone....and so responsive.

When we went back in the room where the amp was, about half the ceiling tiles were knocked out of place. :lol: Good times....good times.

19. Roe

Roe Member

doesn't he use diezels today?

20. johnrea_77

johnrea_77 Silver Supporting Member

Last I knew Michael Schenker has fought off the demons. The tour previous to his last one was caught short by what some might call a relapse. He must've sought help because the latest tour in 2009 with the Miichael Schenker Group was MS at his best - check out YouTube vids for recent footage. good stuff.

I caught UFO back in Utica, NY when the "Light's Out" tour hit the US. This was when the band was pretty much at their peak. I caught them six months later in Rochester and Phil Mogg made the announcement that Michael Schenker had left the band, and Paul Champman was on board. He played well, but had some big shoes to fill.