Michael Schenker Tour!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by tribalfusion, Apr 20, 2015.

1. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

I saw Schenker last night in New Hampshire and he played as well as I can ever recall him playing.

The material was a mix of his own music, UFO, Scorpions tunes (Bucholz and Rarebell of the Scorpions were the rhythm section) and Doogie White formerly of Rainbow was on vocals.

Truly wonderful to see a rock giant in his 60s play at such a level and while clearly having a great time.

Don't miss it if you are even the least bit a fan or curious about his playing.

http://michaelschenkerhimself.com/tour.php

2. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

It's amazing to me that EVH threads get avalanches and another rock giant like Schenker who is playing as well or better than he ever has and is on tour doesn't even get one comment.

Oh well....

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  3. Not Through Yet

Not Through Yet Member

Good to read - he must have sorted his health problems out?

Pretty awesome to have Rarebell/Bucholz there!

4. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

Schenker never recorded a "Jump" or "Why Can't This Be Love" to ingratiate himself into pop culture, so yeah, he's not going to get nearly the attention. But I'm with you. Would much rather see him.

5. aro

aro Member

Very true, but to be fair, probably because MS was never a big as VH. Not for me though... I would take MS any hour of any day over VH.

6. sanrico

sanrico Member

Ed was a superstar long before the two songs you mentioned. He turned the guitar-playing world on its ear with the release of his band's first album. Michael Schenker, not so much.

Schenker is one of my favorite guitarists, but let's look at reality for a moment.

7. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Wonder what has happened to Elliot Rubinson? He was on bass a few
    months back.

8. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

He looked very happy and healthy to me...Rarebell and Buchholz also looked very happy to be there playing with Michael.

Fantastic show.

9. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

My friends went the other night in Newton NJ. They said it was fantastic. They got backstage to meet everyone as well.

10. aroman

aroman Member

My FAVORITE Guitar player !!

11. nomadh

nomadh Member

All set to see him in san diego in a few weeks. Then Travers with a ufo cover band opening a month later.
    schenker is the man.

12. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

Did they do "Coast To Coast"? I love the the version of that on the last live CD/DVD.

Michael has had such a great comeback after really being close to the edge for a number of years. He was on That Metal show this week, but i haven't seen the episode yet.

13. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

They did Holiday, Lovedrive, Rock You Like a Hurricane, Another Piece of Meat and a bunch of UFO and Schenker tunes as I recall.

Great show

14. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

I don't want to hijack the thread, but does anyone know why Rarebell and Bucholz aren't playing with Scorpions anymore? I assumed they'd just retired when they were replaced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

Thanks for the reminder. Just got my tickets for next Saturday!

16. squawken

squawken Member

Saw them at the Stone Pony Saturday night. Everyone in the band seemed to be enjoying themselves. Stood right near Schenker and he was very interactive with the crowd. He was on fire. Great show

17. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

For what it's worth these might help answer your question:

http://www.hardrock80.com/PAGEinterview/FRANCIS_BUCHHOLZ_02_2006_eng.htm

Bucholz:
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I like being together with people and I am team-player. Therefore I was - and I still am - friends with many of the people who had worked for the band. But in the summer of 1991 new people were engaged to manage the business of the Scorpions. I had different opinions regarding their intentions. This led to my split from the band in spring of 1992.[/FONT]

Rarebell:

Drummer Herman ‘ze German’ Rarebell was an integral part of the Scorpions‘ success, not only performing on some of their most important records, but also writing the lyrics for such classic songs as ‘Rock You Like a Hurricane,’ “Bad Boys Running Wild’ and ‘Tease Me, Please Me.’ He left the group in 1995, and in a new interview the drummer spills the beans on his decision to quit, saying it was all about the music. Talking to Rockpages in Greece, Rarebell gives his candid opinion of the albums the Scorpions recorded after his departure. “I hate them,” he frankly states. “I kept saying to Matthias [Jabs] and Rudolf [Schenker] to stop experimenting with music and write songs that the Scorpions fans would expect from them . . . nice melodies and nice hard rock.”
    Instead, the band kept wandering stylistically, pushing the drummer’s frustration to the breaking point. “One of the reasons that I left band was the album ‘Pure Instinct.’ I think that was a really bad album that was followed by an even worse record, ‘Eye II Eye,’” he recalls. “I remember telling to Klaus [Meine] during the pre-production of ‘Pure Instinct’ that I wouldn’t play on this one because I didn’t like any song. I was pushed out from the writing team since ‘Face the Heat,’ a record which I think is very strong … I like it a lot.”
    The drummer is quick to add that he likes his former band’s more recent efforts, saying ‘Unbreakable’ was a step in the “right direction,” while ‘Sting in the Tail,’ the group’s last record, “is really good.”
    Rarebell is currently performing again with legendary ex-Scorpions guitarist Michael Schenker, in a lineup that also features original Scorpions bassist Francis Buchholz.

Read More: Herman Rarebell Says He Quit Scorpions Because He Hated the Music | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/herman-rarebell-quit-scorpions-hated-music/?trackback=tsmclip

18. raviolio

raviolio Supporting Member

I remember reading that when Schenker first left UFO and the band was looking to replace him, that Eddie had actually considered auditioning for the gig but felt that he really was not good enough to fill Schenker's shoes.

But yeah, all due respect to Eddie and his immense accomplishments... I think Schenker would have gained much greater public recognition if he'd had the same level of commercial success that Van Halen achieved.

Even Randy Rhoads was oft noted to have recognized Schenker as his biggest influence (which is apparently why Ozzy tried to hire Michael after Randy's passing).

19. Neer

Neer Member

I passed on seeing Michael this time around, but a few of my chums went and loved the show. Schenker is wunderbar! Rock guitar royalty.

20. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

He's playing a small dinner club down the street from my office. I'm not going, but I would love to.