• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Michael Schenker was amazing on 1/20/14 in NJ

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
First, I want to say that I feel so lucky and happy to see Michael again after all these years, and even more happy that he is playing on top of his game, just superbly, and he appears in good spirit and health. He is one of my favorite musicians in my lifetime and I'll never forget the connection his playing made with me in '78 or '79.

If you are considering seeing him on this leg (I think it's short now), don't hesitate. The man could use support from a good crowd. It is sort of a last gasp of Rock guitar as we knew it back then, but he is like my Chuck Berry (even though Chuck was a huge influence on me as a kid). Michael took it all to another level.

He still has amazing chops, the left hand that's been touched by the heavens, unbelievable tone and such a great way of orchestrating a tune and building his solos logically. He mutherf'ing screams. He delivers much of the well known solos and really adds just enough to keep them fresh. Also, his band is pretty damn good, although the bassist, a very decent player, was incredibly distracting with his hamming it up. But at least he was sincere about it. Drummer is tight and someone who has played with him before, keyboard/guitar man is a long time member, does a serviceable job, and the vocalist, Doogie, was pretty entertaining, although much of the material is beyond his range, and some of the UFO lyrics are a little hard for him to remember. Let's just say, Into The Arena was a nice break on the ears.

Thanks for listening.

Dave B

Exit... Dual Stage Left
Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the review, neer. I take it you needed earplugs? :D

He'll be in Lancaster at The Chameleon this weekend. I'm seriously considering going by myself, as my friend, who is the Schenker-head, hasn't gotten back to me yet after trying to contact him for over two weeks. :waiting

I'm just waiting for that one person to twist my arm a little bit..... :knitting

Matt L

That's great to hear. Michael is special.

Any idea what happened with the opener? I heard some drama went down with Schenker's manager, and they pulled the plug for some reason.

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
That's great to hear. Michael is special.

Any idea what happened with the opener? I heard some drama went down with Schenker's manager, and they pulled the plug for some reason.

We knew Michael was coming on at 9-ish (we were told 9:15), so we showed up at 8:55. Glad I missed any drama.

ChazMania

Gold Supporting Member
I saw him on the 11th here in San Diego county and it was amazing. My first live experience with him and one of the top guitar experiences of my life.
I wore ear plugs for both opening bands and took them out to experience the full Schenker live volume/tone which was heavenly!!
Opening bands were meh. First was all instrumental- and the second one had a good young drummer but songs were lacking imo.

rleerockin

He has put on some great show's last couple years since he cleaned up ... Was Elliot playing bass ? He actually owns Dean guitars.

6Tones

He has put on some great show's last couple years since he cleaned up ... Was Elliot playing bass ? He actually owns Dean guitars.
I think the helicopter hair spinning bassist is on this tour,though hes cut off his helicopter hair, Very good rock bassist though.

DustyRhodesJr

I didnt know Elliott played bass with MSG.

I sold him a Dean ML a few years ago. He was buying almost any
USA Dean that he could find.

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
He's playing Sunday the 26th in Lancaster?
I might have to go to that show.

V-man

I want to see him but am pretty unhappy with his touring choices. Closest performance is a 10hr round trip

CharlieS

I was shut out of Londonderry NH yesterday, as it sold out 2 months ago. His tour bus went by me yesterday near the venue, and I thought about turning around to try to score a seat somehow. Oh well. I'm glad to hear he is playing well.

amoodymule

Silver Supporting Member
Rev is from Oklahoma and plays with Leslie West and Steelheart, crazy as a loon and rocks the bass, the hair twirling thing is ...well.
MSG will be here on my B-Day and they cancelled the last time through, I'm gonna have to get in on this one, ...now to cancel rehearsal that night :D

...it's good to hear he is playing well, ready for some real rock over here...

freedom's door

I saw him in NYC a couple years back, and had a similar experience. He has been playing great the last few years. Elliott was the bass player for that gig, and Robin McCauley was the singer. I thought Robin did a fantastic job.
Glad to hear that Michael is keeping his paying at a high level.

squawken

Saw him at the Starland Ballroom on Friday. I was blown away. He is in top shape musically. Got to listen to soundcheck and had the pleasure of listening to an unplugged version of Holiday with his rhythm guitar player and singer. Great harmonies. Listening to his guitar during the UFO songs really brought me back to 78!

corthullinger

Do much UFO?? Saw him a couple years ago..Awesome but only did 2 UFO tunes..I like the solos he did with UFO..Song within a song..Def in my top 3 favorite guitarists..

Trending Topics

Top Bottom