Michael Tuttle Guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by andybog, Aug 2, 2004.

1. andybog

andybog Member

I just picked up a brand new Tele from Michael Tuttle this week end. This is one of the best Tele's I've ever played. It has a beautiful Ash body,with 3 color 60's stlye sunburst. Michael call's it his 60's Tele. This guitar has a fantastic maple neck, flame maple fret board, brass 3 barrel bridge, the new type that can be intonated. The fret work on his instruments is a work of art. Michael worked for Don Grosh for many years before striking out on his own; and his attention to detail, and love for the vintage vibe shows in every guitar. The prices on his instruments are very resonable, and you can order to your own specs. contact Michael Tuttle at www.bestfrets.com

I have a Tom Anderson Custom Droptop, Don Grosh Custom Carve top, and a 50th Anniverasary Strat, and Michael's guitars are right up there, the notes just jump off the board, it's a reall snappy guitar. WOW! I highly recommend Michael Tuttle's work. He also does repairs,refrets, dressing etc. He's in the Santa Clarita Valley Area, CA.

Ed

2. renico00

renico00 Member

What's the price point like?

3. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

4. andybog

andybog Member

Oh Yeah.. I played that Strat, it is very nice, and belongs to Jim Lum a local sessions pro. I bought the 60's Tele shown on his merchandise page. www.bestfrets.com

His instruments are in the low 2K range.

And very nice indeed.

Ed

user reviews on HC.

5. andybog

andybog Member

I forgot to mention. Michael worked at Valley Arts guitars for I believe 10 years, along with Don Grosh; before Don started making his own instruments.

After playing this Tele for over a week now; I have a hard time putting it down. The guitar just makes you want to play more and more; and sounds incredible through my Bruno CT 45. Tele TWANG! :dude :dude

6. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

...I was in Valencia, CA today and dropped by Michael Tuttle's shop and used the opportunity to play a few of his guitars...WOW!:RoCkIn I played one of his Tele Custom models (humbucker in the neck position...this one had a double-blade DiMarzio Tele-type pickup in the bridge) as well as a Strat (alder/rosewood, 3 Virtual Vintage single coil DiMarzio's) he was getting ready to ship to the lucky owner. He is well-known for his refrets/fret work and after seeing his work in person, I have to agree; it's as good as it gets. To add icing to the cake, his set-ups were also exceptional...both instruments were as accurately intonated as a guitar can get...to my ears anyway.:D

...Michael's guitars should be considered by anyone looking into purchasing a custom guitar ala Lentz, Suhr, Grosh, Tyler, Anderson, D'Pergo, DeTemple, etc!!

7. gretsch58

gretsch58 Member

FYI Actually Michael didn't work at Valley Arts for 10 years. it was maybe 1 year. I worked at Valley Arts for 3 years with Don. I do believe Tuttle worked for Don for about 10 years.

8. T2tele

T2tele Member

Michael refretted and refinished (removed all the lacquer on the back of the neck and applied an oil finish) the neck on an Eric Johnson Strat I used to own. The only reason I sold it was because of the neck size being too small. Mike did an over the top beatiful job, the guitar was transformed from an ok player, into a great feeling and playing guitar. He puts the extra effort in to making it perfect, not close, or just good enough, but PERFECT... the way it should be.

I highly recommend Michael's services, he is really nice guy, straight up, prompt.. with really fast turn a round time and has very reasonable prices for his super high quality work.

T2

9. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

...howdy Ron! I believe the EJ strat you speak of belongs to Gear Pager, KLB. Yes indeed, Michael is great guitar builder...