Micheal Schenker V players? (Feedback wanted)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mooncusser, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hi all,

Anyone here ever play a Micheal Schenker V?
    Just looking for some feedback.
    Kinda curious about this V model.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Mooncusser

2. Roy

Roy Member

I've got the Dean Dave Mustain model V and it's a great guitar. The only bad thing about a V is there a pain to play sitting down. But they look so Rock & Roll :RoCkIn

3. soulohio

soulohio Member

i am interested in the schenker V as well...

4. Thor

Thor Member

My friend (and guitarist in our band) has the Custom Michael Schenker V and I have had the chance to play it a bit. Great guitar. That being said, I am far from an expert in V's

Cheers,

Edward

5. Komet

Komet Member

I have a limited [sighned] MSV, real nice guitars, great neck shape. If your close you are welcome to play it.

6. VRob98

VRob98 Member

I've owned the signed Schenker Ltd V and a proto of his Flames V, which was set up for Schenker himself. Both were very similar, but the action and playability on the proto were just fabulous -very fast and slinky.

[​IMG]

Compared to say a Gibson V-Factor (current model), they're substantially heavier and feel more solid, with a similar neck profile (C-shape, neither too thin or too thick - definitely thinner than either a '58 or '67 Gibbo). The shoulders of the neck/body joint are similar to a Gibson '58, allowing better top fret access. The ebony fingerboard is wide and flat, with surprisingly thin frets rather than jumbos, but playability is great, with a very low action possible if speed is your thing.

Tonally, I have to say that to me both sounded a bit more flat and a little thinner than a Gibson, maybe having more of an Ibanez Jem vibe than a Gibson Historic V or Les Paul. Maybe that's because of the very thick paint which might have deadened the sound a bit, and maybe also because of the high gain Schenker p/ups. It has that very cutting scooped metal sound but to my ears it lacks that nice woody chime of a good Gibson.

In summary, it's a good metal guitar if that's what you're after, but the Gibson original is more versatile and a little more 'soulful' IMHO. This opinion is based on the USA Schenkers however, and not the imports.

Btw, ESP/Edwards make a Japanese copy of Schenker's '75 V that is a fabulous guitar for the money (approx $1000 new) and has Duncan p/ups like Schenker's original. It's a very accurate replica, plays great and sounds just as good as a Gibson.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  7. Grenville

Grenville Member

Not so.

[​IMG]

8. jimlp

jimlp Member

Dean Schenker V's are all mahogany with no maple cap, to me that is a plus. The best thing you can do if you buy one is take out the Schenker pickups, you will be much happier. I doubt that Schenker had any input designing the pickups as they sound nothing like any of his previous tones, to me they sound like renamed Dimarzio Air Zones.