micing my amp to record

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by bronco1891, Dec 27, 2009.

1. bronco1891

bronco1891 Member

i just got a macbook as well.. and all i really wanna do right now is find a way to use a guitar mic (sennheiser 609) and record what i play through my amp and make it appear in garageband or logic. is this possible? what is the best way to do this? thanks guys!
    im looking to not spend too much money either.

2. anais

anais Member

You are going to need an interface. If you are just doing some demos, there are some great cheap USB mixers you can use with GB/Logic. just going into audio preferences and select the mixer/interface and you are good to go. youll need some kind of monitoring as well- headphones or speakers (but dont have them turned up when recording- feedback loops will occur) its a very simple process.

3. lilshopohorrors

lilshopohorrors Member

I know you said you don't want to spend a lot of money, but if you go into a mac store and get a Blue Snowball, you just plug it straight into your usb port and go! That's what I did. It cost about a hundred bucks when I did it. Worth every penny! Three switches too. 1-dirrectional. 2-dirrectional with 10db pad. 3-omnidirrectional.
    Check it out.

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

A USB mic is a great idea, simple and straightforward, use GarageBand and you're done!

If you're ready for the madness, move up to a Firewire or USB interface with a mic preamp and plug your mic into that... A lot more stuff to worry about (cables and drivers and preamps and so on) but can be much better quality...

5. ellpolo

ellpolo Member

Yes, and a great starter is the firewire solo. Decent preamp in it