Mick Goodrick's voice leading Almanacs

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by kirk95, Mar 13, 2015.

1. kirk95

kirk95 Jazz Lines You Can Use in the Blues Silver Supporting Member

Trying to track down Mick Goodrick's voice leading Almanacs? Are these still available somewhere?

Thanks,
    DH

2. Datsyuk

Datsyuk Member

I think there was a recent thread asking this very question. If I recall, the answer was no, but don't take my word on it.

3. Dioxic

Dioxic Member

4. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

I can't vouch for the accuracy, but there's this (from page 13 of the thread, posted today). The guy who wrote it (David/TruthHertz) seems to be working with Mick to get the material self published. There are quite a few posts going back to last year discussing it.

http://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/theory/15853-anybody-use-goodchord-voice-leading-books-13.html

"They're presently being formatted for publication as a 8 volume set. The originals were done as 3 huge and very intimidating volumes that included diatonic, melodic minor and harmonic minor based books. For a vast majority of people who bought these books, it was too much information and I dare say 98% of the people who bought these books shelved them and never even started using the material.
    So occasionally somebody takes theirs off the shelf and puts it on Ebay. They go for $200-300@ and the third volume, which was never a big seller, never appears.
    The legalities of the Goodchord dissolution are being worked out and the plan is to have books that focus on one particular chord family, for a specific group of voicings. That makes the actual assimilation of the material a bit more bite sized and helpfully organized, not to mention, affordable.
    In answer to your inquiry, Dioxic, stay tuned, I'm about to make some kind of announcement in the next 10 days or so. A bunch of things I'm busy working on may be coming to fruition. This thread on the forum will be the first in the loop."

5. Double V

Double V Supporting Member

Here's an exercise taken from Vol.2 of the Almanacs.
    Spread triads, Cycle 2, passing tones.

"Anytime one of the voices moves a distance of a 3rd, you can fill in that interval with a melodic passing tone. This works well for individual melodies, counterpoint (2voices), 3-part and 4-part chords" -MG

6. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Nice! Bach must have had the Goodrick books, ya think?

7. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

8. Double V

Double V Supporting Member

Yes! It was when Bach was at Berklee in the 60's.

9. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

10. harmonicator

harmonicator Member

I like the sound of that.

11. UliM

UliM Silver Supporting Member

All three volumes are on eBay at the moment...

12. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

[​IMG]