• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Mick Mars

Tony

Silver Supporting Member
Learning 3 Crue tunes for a Halloween gig… Dr. Feelgood, Home Sweet Home and Smokin in the Boys room.

I’m 45 and picked up the guitar in 1990 so the Crue’s hits are pretty well burned into my brain, but this is the first time I’ve really sat down and tried to learn Mick Mars’ parts.

D@mn… it’s impressive stuff. Super precise, which (for me) is tough at high gain since I don’t often play with that sound. It can get away from me and get sloppy quick if I’m not precise.

Home Sweet Home is just a fun power ballad. The solo has a couple cool melodic ideas I hadn’t really picked up on before.

Smokin’ in the Boys Room swings a lot; super fun and easy to play. It’s a bit of a pain to mimic the solo since it punches in and out between a slide and a regular fretted guitar.

But the real eye-opener for me has been Dr. Feelgood. Bob Rock is a magician. It’s 5 staircases above their other stuff IMHO. The groove is really amazing; I think it’s my favorite Tommy Lee track by far.

And the guitar parts are a blast to play. The main riff is iconic, the solo has distinct sections and ideas, just top-notch.

Leaving the exercise of learning these tunes with an increased appreciation for Mick’s playing… hope I can do it justice.

*EDIT - here's a clip from the Halloween parade gig*

*EDIT AGAIN* - longer clip with all 3 songs and two cameras*

Last edited:

CDP

That sounds like it's gonna be a fun gig! Have you tried learning the high gain parts, with low gain? That'll usually help clean things up so they are more precise when you do eventually wind up the gain knob.

CRAIG4FSU

Whatever...
Gold Supporting Member
Long Time MM fan. He has always seemed to play to the song and not over play.

I read an interview years ago where he said if rock and roll didn't work out, he would have concentrated on playing blues.

Last edited:

Tony

Silver Supporting Member
That sounds like it's gonna be a fun gig! Have you tried learning the high gain parts, with low gain? That'll usually help clean things up so they are more precise when you do eventually wind up the gain knob.
Yep, good call. I’m actually practicing (mostly) unplugged until I have the parts nailed.

Reactions: CDP

ToobNoob

Learning 3 Crue tunes for a Halloween gig… Dr. Feelgood, Home Sweet Home and Smokin in the Boys room.

I’m 45 and picked up the guitar in 1990 so the Crue’s hits are pretty well burned into my brain, but this is the first time I’ve really sat down and tried to learn Mick Mars’ parts.

D@mn… it’s impressive stuff. Super precise, which (for me) is tough at high gain since I don’t often play with that sound. It can get away from me and get sloppy quick if I’m not precise.

Home Sweet Home is just a fun power ballad. The solo has a couple cool melodic ideas I hadn’t really picked up on before.

Smokin’ in the Boys Room swings a lot; super fun and easy to play. It’s a bit of a pain to mimic the solo since it punches in and out between a slide and a regular fretted guitar.

But the real eye-opener for me has been Dr. Feelgood. Bob Rock is a magician. It’s 5 staircases above their other stuff IMHO. The groove is really amazing; I think it’s my favorite Tommy Lee track by far.

And the guitar parts are a blast to play. The main riff is iconic, the solo has distinct sections and ideas, just top-notch.

Leaving the exercise of learning these tunes with an increased appreciation for Mick’s playing… hope I can do it justice.
Yes.

:beer
T$

Tony

Silver Supporting Member
Mick just has a great style on all those records, great band...Vince's vocals kinda feel a little dated but it worked well regardless.

I should probably learn some too and figure out what I'm hearing and why it's good...
If you really listen to Feelgood you can hear Rock punching the shite out of Vince's vocal. Especially verse two; it sounds like they comped it on d@mn near every phrase.

Sellin' sugar to the sweet PUNCH people on the street PUNCH call this Jimmy's town hahaha

DontheMon

If you really listen to Feelgood you can hear Rock punching the shite out of Vince's vocal. Especially verse two; it sounds like they comped it on d@mn near every phrase.

Sellin' sugar to the sweet PUNCH people on the street PUNCH call this Jimmy's town hahaha
Yeah real svengali but great overall...maybe when you think about Axl or Jame Hetfield etc. they were able to kinda incorporate a growl or other things like pseudo natural voice dilvery and Vince kinda just goes high or has a higher register in general and it's a bit more operatic (which is fine) but the other dinky hair bands kinda had vocals going in that direction so I think a bit unfavorable to Vince...David LR was a higher kinda singer but he mixed it a bit somehow...still Crue sounds really awesome to this day

cbell2112

I love Crue stuff as well, first 2 albums especially. Are you tuning down a full step for your gig or just playing in standard tuning? That is the only thing holding my band back from playing any of their tunes. The singing is already way up there so standard tuning is more of a challenge for the singer and bringing a second guitar set up properly is too much of pain.

Hefalump

What does "punch" mean?

Thanks

:hide

Tony

Silver Supporting Member
And yeah, super fun gig. Our town has a Halloween parade where everyone dresses up and tosses candy out to the kids from parade floats. Last time around in 2019 we did an Elton John tribute on a float, this year it's the Crue.

Tony

Silver Supporting Member
What does "punch" mean?

Thanks

:hide
Each line was recorded separately and 'punched" in one at a time.
Yep, the PUNCH in the section I quoted is where the different takes are spliced together. Could've been two-inch tape at the time, not sure when the digital thing started happening re: ProTools and all that.

If you listen to that section close you'll hear it. The takes overlap just a bit and some of the phrasing is somewhat unnatural from a breath perspective. Clearly a few takes happening.

Tony

Silver Supporting Member
I love Crue stuff as well, first 2 albums especially. Are you tuning down a full step for your gig or just playing in standard tuning? That is the only thing holding my band back from playing any of their tunes. The singing is already way up there so standard tuning is more of a challenge for the singer and bringing a second guitar set up properly is too much of pain.
I tried learning Feelgood in standard w/ drop D, but it's too much of a PITA, the shapes and riffs fall much easier with the whole guitar down a step - especially the harmonics in the intro and before the solo.

Since we're playing on a moving parade float I don't want to try a guitar switch, so I set up my G&L Strat (with a humbucker in the bridge) for detuning down to D, and am just gonna play Home Sweet Home and Smokin' in that tuning as well. TBH both of those fall pretty well into D tuning; I wonder if Mick tuned down for those too...

Guitars In Paradise

Not to sidetrack but just listened to Vince Neil's Tattoos & Tequila album, geeze, talk about a guy who simply can't sing to save his life, there were a lot of cover tunes on there, not one was as good as the original.

BlueRiff

Each line was recorded separately and 'punched" in one at a time.
I agree with this. Vince’s voice was the weak link in the band live - not only the inability to stay in tune, but his vocal quality blends into the mix. In the studio he sounded great.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom