Mick Taylor w/ Mayall tone??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Slotunes, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Slotunes

Slotunes Supporting Member

Howdy..Anybody out there know what type of amp Mick Taylor used when he was with John Mayall.The period from 66 to 68.His tone is the sweetest singing tone I think Ive heard.Thanks in advance...

2. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

The live stuff was a 50 watt Marshall.

3. Slotunes

Slotunes Supporting Member

I figured it was Marshall.Im wondering which model JTM 45??Ive even heard He used a Bassman in the studio.Any thoughts..thanks

4. Mark Kane

The Blues Crusade and Diary of Band stuff was not JTM45 it was a 50 watter with EL34's.

5. trisonic

trisonic Member

He used a half stack and his tone was a lot darker/thicker/chewy than Clapton or Green. Mark - Would it be one of those "Black Flag"?

He used a lot of "Normal", know what I mean?

Definitely not a Bassman!!!!!

Best, Pete.

6. Mark Kane

It sure coulda been, he made it "HOWL" big time!!

7. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

I also loved Mick's tone when he was using Ampegs with the Stones, and the Les Paul/The Twin combination on the Mayall Birthday DVD from last year or so. Zendrive into a Blackface Fender gets you there with ease, thick and chewy.
    FWIW,
    Rick

8. John Carson

John Carson Supporting Member

I was lucky to have done a gig with Mick and his band in '87 in LBI, NJ.....He had us get him a Marshall 4x12 slant cab and a Fender Twin....He came with I believe a chorus pedal. I actually have the gig on tape. He had the soaring Santana sound.

Also a great guy...

9. Cussion

Cussion Member

Hi Pete !

How did he achieve that dark/thick one? Was it the Normal channel cranked up?
    the 1987 model Marshall?

I prefer his sound to the cleaner/more aggressive Marshall tone that Clapton and Green had.

10. Cussion

Cussion Member

11. trisonic

trisonic Member

I can get his tone on "Crusade" fairly easily on a Maven Peal Ganesha (it's been a long time since I owned an early Marshall).

Yes, you crank the "Normal" volume rather than the "Treble" volume - have the Treble volume on but low, about 3 (on the Ganesha you can switch the bright in or out, I have it off on the Normal and on on the Treble). It helps to use Greenbacks. Once you've done this you're right in the ballpark. Everything else is fine tuning. With a Les Paul it's mainly treble pick up or both.
    No pedals required.

I'm using KT66's to get that sound; with EL34's it's brasher, more in your face so adjust accordingly.

Best, Pete.

12. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

I love Taylor's tone on "Crusade". I wish there was a way to approximate it in a basement/don't-get-evicted setup.

Sometimes I'll play Hideaway off Beano, Supernatural off Hard Road and Driving Sideways off Crusade in a Loop. Depending on my mood, my favourite tone may shift,. but usually (but not by much) Taylor's tone comes out on top for me over Green and Clapton.

13. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I can't think of any recordings on which I didn't like Mick Taylor's tone. Always sounds great to me.

14. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

It's the fingers! ;)

<M