Mick Taylor's Gear???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by teleking36, May 3, 2008.

1. teleking36

teleking36 Member

Over the past few months, I've realized how much of an influence Mick Taylor has been for my lead playing style. I've recently had Exile on Main St. and Goat's Head Soup on a constant loop in the cd player in my car, and I can't get over the tone/feel on these albums. Particular songs that come to mind are:

"Ventilator Blues"
    "All Down The Line"
    "Hundred Years Ago"
    "Hide Your Love"

Specifically, "Hide Your Love" showcases what I love about Mick Taylor's tone the best out of the songs mentioned. Anyone know what he was using for guitars/amps on these two albums? Thanks!

2. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

I couldn't say for sure, but the videos and film clips I've seen with him playing with the Stones had him using a sunburst Les Paul and a red SG.

3. 8Painting

8Painting Member

I think he used ampeg's during this era also.

I envy his tone.

And mimic his playing, a lot.

4. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

This seems to be the thread to ask a question that has been puzzling me my entire guitar playing years.

SOMEBODY, PLEASE HELP ME!!!

How can I get the guitar tone used for "Can't you hear me knocking?"

It is the most pure overdriven tube sound I've ever heard and try as I might, I can't reproduce it.

I can come close by turning down the tone knob on my 335 but I've fiddled with everything and there's just something I'm missing.

Someone, please fill me in!

5. groovy daddy

groovy daddy Member

It's got to be an old P-90 Gibson with an open tuning through a raging cheap tube amp (Keith). Yup. Mick Taylor solo sounds like a newer Gibson humbucking neck pickup, newer amp, picked just below the neck joint. Try that.

Dannyz likes this.
  6. blues junkie

blues junkie Supporting Member

I used to get very very close to that tone with a 1970 Les Paul Custom and a Hot Rod Deluxe cranked on the drive channel.It sounded awsome. Like an idiot I sold the Custom for about $1200.00 :NUTS

7. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

I believe Can't You Hear Me Knocking's a Boogie Mark I but I'm not sure. I came closest believe it or not by accident when I had a Carvin Legacy and EMG 89 in my Strat with the clean channel volume dimed. I haven't tried it since I got my Boogie but perhaps I should.

8. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

That would sound about right, but Taylor was before Keith used Boogies.
    But then again..I've been wrong before.

9. Robertito

Robertito Member

This won't answer the OP's question, but I opened for Mick a few years ago in NYC, and he was playing a LP sunburst through a Boss SD-1 and a HRD, and sounded so good it gave everyone chills.

Dannyz likes this.
  10. diamonddavewv

diamonddavewv Member

11. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

Ampegs would make sense. Dude from QOTSA uses 'em and gets a similar very tubey overdrive tone. The good news is they're cheap on the used market because people don't buy them to display next to their guitars in glass cases yet.

12. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

Ha ha ha!!

:drink

13. 67super

67super Supporting Member

Stickey Fingers is my favorite Stones album and Can't You Hear Me Knocking just kills. They used Ampegs for several tours around that time. I was just getting into guitar in the early 70's and bought a V4 and Les Paul to get the Stones tone.

14. Joe Robinson

Joe Robinson Gold Supporting Member

Perhaps this is a bit obvious, but I feel that an essential part of the CYHMK jam is A LOT of reverb on the neck pickup of a Lester. Beyond that I think a lot of amps can get that sound.

15. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

In the studio...who knew what those guys used?! Probably everything they could get their hands on...Fenders, Marshalls, Ampegs and maybe even Voxes. Probably a few weirdies like Supros, Silvertones, Airlines, etc....whatever was available. I'm guessing most of that info is lost in a drug and booze-addled haze. There's a great shot in the Ampeg book of Keith playing through an Ampeg VT22...but who knows what Mick used to record CYHMK?

Live in the late 60s/early 70s, I think Keith used mostly big Ampegs (SVTs) and Mick used V2s, V4s and SVTs as well. I heard he used VT40s too but who the hell knows for sure?

16. Strat58

Strat58 Member

HI the only thing I know that you realy hear the wood of the guitar, it seems that a old Tube King can get that tone.
    Peace Strat58

17. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

I was a devotee of Taylor for a looonngg time. What you hear on those records is mostly his Gibsons (either his burst, 345 or SG). The amps are probably SF Twins believe it or not. Jacked up too.

They did not use or Boogies in 72 or 73 (I don't they were even made then).

It is unlikely they used their stage amps (modified Ampeg SVT's) in the studio as there really was no need to. They might have used a few of the Ampeg combos, but, most of the studio photos I have seen from those days have Taylor plugged into a "lowly" SF Twin.

18. andybaylor

andybaylor Supporting Member

That tune was relaesed long before Boogies were aroung.

19. 67super

67super Supporting Member

Beleive it or not the very 1st Boogies date to 71. He modified Fenders at 1st but they were the 1st Mark I's [​IMG]

20. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

Ampegs are very underated amps. They don't have quite the same cashe
    as Fender,Marshall,etc. I think Mick Taylor rules,by the way. Why he isn't
    spoken of with the same reverence as Clapton,Green,etc. is beyond me.