Mick Taylor's sound!?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 4styx, Jan 28, 2008.

1. 4styx

4styx Member

Does anybody know what Mick Taylor used for a dirt pedal? The Get Your Ya-Yas out album in particular.Thanks.

2. erksin

erksin Member

AFAIK - none. That's the sound of a raging Ampeg V-4...

IMO - the BJF Honey Bee nails that tone with some help from your amp.

3. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    A Klon through a pushed amp gets this tone too.

4. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Ampeg + volume + more volume

5. jay42

jay42 Member

If you look at photos from that tour, along with Gimme Shelter, you'll see SVTs and a Twin Reverb or two. I'm never sure how these things work out, but iirc, the sound in the movie kind of blows and makes you wonder how they got those great tones onto record.

6. trisonic

trisonic Member

I've never seen Mick with anything but a guitar - cord - amp.
    I don't live with him, however............

Best, Pete.

7. guitplayer0321

guitplayer0321 Member

Mick often uses a Boss SD-1 and has since the '80s.

8. mooawk

mooawk Member

I'd like to find out more about his sound when he was in the Stones, so a bump for this thread.

9. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

All the footage I`ve seen is just him an SG, Les Paul, or one with a 335, and plugged straight in. No pedals that I`ve ever seen.

10. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Bingo, great resonant humbucker guitar with PAF or clones in it, into a cranked up, beefy sounding amp, maybe a little delay added at the board.

His tone is really easy to get with a Les Paul into an EP-3 then into a 50 watt Marshall and a 4x12 cab.

11. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

In his instructional video, he just plugged into an old Ampeg combo, IIRC, and mentions turning it up more if you want more sustain and overdrive. Even through that little combo, he gets his signature tone.

12. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

I got to play with Mick at a gig in Stockton about 15 years ago. He had an unmodded SD1, 2 cables and an amp (can't remember what amp though).
    No idea what he uses nowadays though

13. cds2051

cds2051 Member

Got to stand 4 feet from him in the 80's during a Bluesbreakers reunion tour. I could only hear him and it was immaculate.
    Got to shake his hand and talk about his equipment - 58 LP with two Blackface Twin Reverbs (PLAYED VERY LOUD) no pedals. What a modest nice guy.

14. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

I remain in awe of this guy.

15. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Stones era was all cranked Ampeg V-4 with a 50's Les Paul and early 60's SG. He also used a 345 or 55 in the studio and a mid 50's Tele for slide. In the studio for Exile they were using a lot of cranked Fender Twin also. He did use some Marshall stuff with Mayall (probably JTM-45's). When I saw him in Philly in 2003 it was a newer reissue Les Paul and a 52 Reissue Tele into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or Pro Jr(tweed covered) and his board had a wah, an SD-1 and a TS-9 but his tech told me that most of the dirt was from the Fender amp. One of my top three favorite players of all time.

16. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

When I saw him a few years ago he was running a red-knob Twin. Oh, yeah, and a couple of pedals all pretty ordinary Boss looking things.

As much as I love the gear and have made a hobby and career of fussing with the gear - it ain't about the gear.

17. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

Ive always felt the Mick Taylor era was the Stones best. If you never heard, Get Your Yah Yahs, do yourself a favor.
    Oh yeah. Straight into the Ampeg.

18. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

Mick Taylor is amazing, the Taylor Stones era was the best. Once again, I say, humbuckers into raging Ampeg's. Get a lower powered Ampeg, and crank it up. Taylor also has the most amazing wiggle, or vibrato, even better than Clapton.

19. 250k

250k Member

I saw him about 4 years ago. He had a Marshall JCM800 2x12 combo and a red knob Twin. he was using a Boss sd1, a boss delay (dd3 or dd5) and a crybaby wah. He had "his" sound. He played a Gibson 1960 reissue Les Paul all night. I have an Ampeg vt40 and that amp nails that tone.

20. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

I posted this in the other Mick Taylor Thread in the Sound Hound Lounge (The Mick Taylor is Dead thread). Don't panic, it seems to be an unfounded rumor.

Most informative article on Mick in the new issue (April 08) of Vintage Guitar that came to my mail box yesterday.