Microphone Christmas list....

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by zenpicker, Dec 11, 2005.

1. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

...OK, so it's me shopping for myself. But hey, my wife would have gladly bought any of these if only I could have told which one to choose. There's the rub...

I'm trying to boil down the million opinions online and for my needs (solo acoustic fingerstyle guitar) I think I'm down to:

Studio Projects B3 LDC $159 zzounds
    Sample clip at http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/mp3/5/TLS-Track-7-Session-5.mp3

Studio Projects C1 matched pair $299/pair zzounds
    Sample clip at
    http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/mp3/5/TLS-Track-8-Session-5.mp3

Matched pair of Oktava MC-012's (SDC) from Sound Room $346/pair
    Haven't got a clip on these but everyone seems to love them for the money, and apparently Sound Room has overcome some of the Oktava quality issues through extra testing and some direct-voodoo relationship with the factory

Oktava MK319 LDC $269 at the Sound Room
    Clip at
    http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/mp3/5/TLS-Track-21-Session-5.mp3

T.H.E., depending...
    No clip but sound good on paper

Rode NTK LDC $500
    Clip at
    http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/mp3/5/TLS-Track-33-Session-5.mp3

------------------------------
    Haven't even decided on LDC vs SDC, though I think I more need a good SDC (or pair) to supplement my suprisingly not-bad Behringer LDC.

I think Neumanns are out of reach, and I keep hearing that the Oktavas give them a run for the money.

Awww...too hard. In some ways it seems like a nice kit might be the Studio Projects B3 plus the pair of Studio Projects C1's. Nice setup for less than $500. But those much-loved Oktavas....

What should I tell Santa???? :rolleyes:

2. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

I can't comment on most of those mics, but I have the Studio Projects B3 and it is a decent mic for the money. It has a fairly even response compared to the apparently bright sound I have read about regarding the C series. It doesn't get much use anymore, but works well for certain situations. I have heard and used a friends Rode NTK and it's a pretty bright mic as I remember. I don't think it ever got chosen over other mics when I compared them, but he seems to like it for vocals and acooustic (steel string) guitar.

3. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

I'm curious as to why you're going for LDCs? If you are truely into the LDC sound, I'd recommend using one on the soundhole, and a SDC on the neck.

Something like the Rode NT5 would work great. Maybe the SP C1 on the soundhole and the NT5 at the 12th fret.

4. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

What I've done to date (with my less expensive mikes) is point an LDC at the 14th fret, about 14" out, and the SDC at the saddle end of the soundhole, sometimes a tad closer than 14". Seems to be a good arrangement, though of course there are 1,000 ideas on mike placement out there. Somehow I like that blend of warm/open (LDC) and crisp/close (SDC), but I think I could do a lot better than the mikes I have. Which is why I'm shopping...

5. muddy

muddy Member

if you're lookin' at the studio projects mic's, i'd highly recommend having a look at adk's mic's. 2 very good engineer friends of mine, bob rosa & bob musso (bob m. is laswell's engineer for YEARS) BOTH told me to give adk a shout & check their stuff out. aside from their pricier toob models, the vienna & hamburg are worth a listen (they're around $250 a piece).

ml

6. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

ADK - very interesting. They were also highly recommended by Pete Montessi of A-Designs. Think I'd better check. The problem is where to audition them. No Chicago dealer as best I can tell.

7. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Of the mics you've listed, I have several in my mic locker: the Rode NTK, the Oktava 012s, and the Oktava 319. Here are a few thoughts:

The NTK is a fine mic for male vocals, I'm less enamored of it on female. But certain male voices do very well with it. The vocals sit very firmly in a track with little EQ.

The Oktava 012s were bought because I have a fondness for Russian mics. They're nicely made, and sound great on overheads. They have a quality on cymbals that I really like. They're pretty good on acoustic guitar, but not as present as, say, a KM 84-184-140 (take your pick) Neumann.

The 319 I simply could not pass up at the price. The build quality is laughable, wait til you use the switches, they're like a cheap toy. But it sounds pretty good, especially on airy female vocals. The perfect Enya-layered-breathy-vocals mic. Not a bad room mic. Does it compare with a Blue Kiwi, my fave female vocal mic (an unfair comparison since the Kiwi costs two grand)? No and yes. It lacks the firm three dimensionality of the Kiwi, but it has a lovely quality to the top end. All in all, it's an interesting mic that gets good use in my studio. Note that I got one of these for my son at the same time, and it sounds good, but a little different from my mic, so there is variation. I should add that some engineers are modding these by removing the plastic disk that sits atop the diaphragm, which supposedly gives the mic a more open character, but changes the top end, so I'm not messing with mine.

8. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

What about the Avenson sto-2? $500 for the pair. They're on my list anyway.

9. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I haven't used any of the microphones that you mention. What I have used on solo fingerstyle guitar:

AKG C1000S
    AKG C3000B
    Groove Tubes GT33
    Audio Technica 3035
    Josephson C42 matched pair

I borrowed the AKG mics a few years ago and did a CD with them. I didn't know a lot about mic placement at the time, so I wasn't particularly pleased with the finished product. I don't have an opinion on the AKGs, mainly due to my lack of experience when I used them, but a lot of people don't like them for recording. I've used a C1000s live and thought it sounded fine.

I bought the Groove Tubes and the Audio Technica at the same time with the plan to use the Groove Tubes at the neck and the A/T for a room mic. I ended up hating the A/T due to the midrange response. It sounded nasally all the time, so I'd suggest that you stay far away from that one. The Groove Tubes is nice, but I've ended up moving on to a matched pair of small diaphragm condensors.

When I was looking for a matched pair of mics there were a lot to choose from. A lot of people recommend the Octavas that you list, though I haven't worked with them. Other, more expensive, options are the Josephsons, Neumanns, Schoeps, Gefells, Earthworks, etc. I ended up getting the Josephsons, as they came highly recommended and were a nice price (under a grand for the pair). I've loved how they sound, though they are more sensitive to placement than other mics I've worked with.

In talking with some studio owners and engineers I've learned that they all use the Josephson C42s, which I think is a good endorsement. They use them on everything from drum overheads to hi-hats, acoustic guitars to saxophones. I've only used them on acoustic guitar and for location recording, but think they sound phenomenal.

Bryan

10. TBone

TBone Member

Contact me offline at visqst@aol.com. I'm an ADK beta tester and dealer. We can probably work something out for you to check out the mics if you're interested.

Recommendations for recording acoustic:
    Hamburg - rich "German" sound
    Vienna - more sparkle
    SC-T - small cap / KM184ish
    A51TC - my personal favorite for acoustic instruments.

TBone