(microtonal) acid with Monologue and AS-1

chunky48

Having gotten interested in microtonality during lockdown and when I got back into the 'studio' realising I had 2 synths I could use, I've become a bit obsessed with it. The Korg Monologue librarian has a function you can drag and drop up to 6 scala tuning files (also in Minilogue and XD, not alas the Wavestate) and anyone with a more recent dsi synth should have a global alternate tunings setting, a mixture of alternate 12-note divisions and 19/31/Partch43/non-European ones. This is in 19-EDO, which maps fairly logically to a conventional keyboard.

sjwieczorkow

Silver Supporting Member
What is "microtonality"? Does it simply mean "Inbetween"? Like 1/4 step bends and guitars with those funky microfrets?

Neat stuff.

chunky48

What is "microtonality"? Does it simply mean "Inbetween"? Like 1/4 step bends and guitars with those funky microfrets?

Neat stuff.
Yeah it's basically the in-between stuff, split up different ways depending on culture/math/harmony. I prefer the Dave Smith phrase 'alternate tunings' tbh but 'microtonality' seems to be the common one. Apart from the expense of said microfretted guitars (and a programmable tuner) it should transfer to a fretboard in many ways more naturally than using a conventional keyboard.

Trending Topics