MicroTrak Users - do you still like and use it?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by e-z, Mar 1, 2006.

1. e-z

e-z Member

Just taking a poll of all the MicroTrak users out there. If you've had yours for a bit is it what you had hoped it would be? Is it serving your needs? What are the things you like and dislike about it? Thanks.

ez

2. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I've had mine for a few months. I use it to 'tape' my two bands' rehearsals. One is a tame, female vocal driven band and the other is a loud, classic rock, garage band. I've had to use different mics including use of a power supply for a stereo condenser mic so I could run the signal line in to deal with high sound pressures. I've since found a different mic that won't overdrive the preamp so I can run that into the 1/8" input. Blah, blah, blah........... sounds GREAT!!

Now, there is a problem with the select button. Supposedly they're working on firmware upgrades to address it. When you use it to select a function, it can skip right through what you select back to where you started. It is most definitely a DEFECT and they know about it. I find it exasperating for a unit that cost what it is. It can take a lot of futzing around to change parameters, etc, with the NAV/select button. I registered my complaint early and if they never fix it, I'm going to demand a refund or something. Hopefully a firmware upgrade will do the trick. Practically speaking, once I have my parameters selected, I don't need that button at all, and everything else works great. I record at 190, mp3, and it sounds quite good. I made myself a battery backup (plans are on the net, using a voltage reg chip and usb jack) just in case I run out of juice, but that hasn't happened for a continuous 3hr session, and intermittent 5 hr sessions.

It takes about 1 minute to download hrs of rehearsal tracks to my computer. Sure beats real time transcription of my old MD recorder.

jon

3. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I use mine at least 3 - 4 times a week. It sounds good and I like the simplicity of the interface, but there are several small things that bug me:

1 - select button whizzing past the menu, as jon mentioned.

2 - external mouse-ears shaped mic. How difficult would it be to build one in? Mono would be fine with me.

3 - short battery life.

4 - Too easy to accidentaly start it recording, and you can't tell from looking if it's rolling or not. Worse yet, the button to "stop" is the record button! So if you thing you were rolling but you were not, pressing the button starts it. I've ended up with empty tracks way over an hour long and a dead battery several times because of that.

5 - because you can't tell if it's rolling or not, you might think you're deleting a bad take from 2 seconds ago and actually be deleting a keeper from earlier. It's kind of hard to explain that, but if you own one you know what I mean.

Still a great tool, way better than MiniDisk or micorcassette!

4. brent

brent Member

I'm using one

The select button is annoying, I find the mouse ears pretty useless.
    That said, I use it all the time I found a cheapo audio technica stero mic that deals with SPL better and doesn't require an outboard box (although I still have to shield it a bit when rehearsing in some of the smaller ill-conceived rooms I end up in.
    for convenience and sound quality, way better than the mini disc I was using and actually comparable and easier to use than my DAT Walkman that recently died

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Which one?

6. brent

brent Member

Pro 24, about $70, still have to really back off the input if using the 1/8" jack, but you an split it into 2 1/4's to get better padding

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Thanks for the info. :)

8. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

sorry for the slight derail...

I've seen that many have gone the route of mp3 players
    that have a "mic-in" for recording and will record in mp3 or wav format.

I'm not sure what mic is being used, but JohnZ posted a great live clip which was recorded this way with one of the Iriver models. Seems like a cool way to get ideas recorded and to dump into your computer for editing, etc.

9. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

PSA - new firmware upgrade is up for the MT 24/96 that, among other things, addresses the flaky nav button problems. I haven't done it yet, but hopefully it will work!!

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do...800a80448f139bcfe7&o=Windows+XP&f=662#license

edit - I just did it. The NAV button does work better, but not perfectly. I can live with the improvement and I'd guess they'll dial it in with the next upgrade.
    jon

10. Strat-o-Ck

Strat-o-Ck Guest

I bought one in December, and its been on backorder since. Hopefully it will arrive sometime soon.

11. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I just downloaded the update and went looking for the thing... apparently my wife took it with her to Arizona for a week but left the recharging cord here.

Arggghhh...