Mics on American Idol

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by drbob1, Feb 27, 2009.

1. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

What's with them this year? They look like a polished version of the Shure SM87? handheld condensor. Sound great for the guys, make many of the girls sound harsh and too present, not to speak of weirdly EQ'd. I'd be asking for my old 58 back if I was a female...

2. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

the Pathetically karaoke sounding keyboard band. If not for the drummer it could just as well be sans band.
    Rob

3. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Thought the logo looked like a Telefunken logo.

4. JCM 800

JCM 800 Member

Isn't Paul Jackson Jr. the Idol band guitarist? He's no karaoke player.

5. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

OUCH !

With all due respect Rhomco: The Idol band (same band on "Don't forget the lyrics" btw) is comprised of some of the top LA session guys: Ricky Minor is a great bass player and bandleader. Paul Jackson Junior is one of the most versatile hired-guns in LA, the "Swiss army knife of guitar players" imho. Many of these guys are playing the Oscars, Grammys, and other shows (where they are not seen), and on tons of sessions, based on their talent.

They are given the unfortunate task of being a karaoke machine for the Idol contestants. Don't confuse that with any lack of talent. My late Dad used to say "guys that good could play bird-$hit if it fell on their charts". I believe that...

6. aeolian

aeolian Member

I thought the mics were Sennheisers

7. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

+1. Like the show or not, the band is a bunch of monsters.

8. m@2

m@2 Supporting Member

i acutally was pretty impressed with the mic tones and the band... the harsher tones i seemed to be more attributed to the singers voice .... maybe the mics are not particularly forgiving?

9. Matt Jones

Matt Jones Member

I think last year they were some kind of Sennheiser/Neumann combination with the capsule being Neumann.

10. jay42

jay42 Member

Brooke what's-her-name kept popping her P's. Not enough internal windscreen or she needs to go back to garage band 101.

11. Rick Towne

Rick Towne Praise & Western Silver Supporting Member

Is the same band playing this year? I don't think we've seen them on camera.

12. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

Dont listen with your ears? I respect that my opinion is mine alone and others are not obligated to agree. I have not seen a band shot yet and dont know whom the members are. Talent suppressed by the director perhaps but not much reached these ears. I stand by by my opinion but respect yours.
    Respectfully
    Rob

13. torsten

torsten Member

Since when could a mic take out harshness in a singers voice? if it hurts to listen to somebody, it's gonna hurt no matter what. at least thats what i find;-)
    Neumann Capsules on sennheiser wireless. The new Craze! check them out on their website. Quite Cheap by the way........ NOT!

14. aeolian

aeolian Member

I thought that in the past they were using Sennheisers. Some of which can be pretty harsh on high or nasalish female voices. Typically I just cut some 4k with a Senn on a woman singer, unless she's an alto.