Mics on Winwood's Amp - N.O. Jazz festival

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by stevel, May 3, 2015.

1. stevel

stevel Member

I was just flipping through and came across Stevie Winwood playing at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival.

Both he and his guitarist had an unusual looking "baffle" of some sort on their guitar mics. Basically, it looked like a curved piece of metal with small holes in it - like perforated metal used for a speaker grille. There was a hole in the back and looked like the mic came in from the top.

I noticed they had a similar deal on the Hi Hat, but the mic cable went into the hole in the back - and this one was pointing down - so the concave side faces the sound source, not unlike a satellite dish. So I'm guessing the guitars probably had something like a 906 on them, and these "baffles" can accept a mic cable either from the side or the back.

The side view of the one on the hi hat looked like there were maybe 3 pieces of foam, one followed the concave of the "dish" part, the other was a bigger radius (thus flatter) and a third one was a bigger radius still (almost flat).

Seems like a baffle, but I would think you'd get unwanted reflections on them - unless they truly are acting like a satellite dish and centering sound at the focus, which would make it louder, but with less interference from ambient sound.

Anyone seen these or had any experience with them?

2. stevel

stevel Member

3. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

I'm seeing them more and more. They add isolation. They have them on Tom Petty's amps.

4. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I have also seen the Auralex Mudguard mic isolation. Good tool when using ribbon mics. But I notice Jimmy Herring did not have them on his Royer 121's on his wet effects cab.

5. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

I have the original Reflexion Filter. The main difference is that the mounting hardware for the microphone is different. It is a very effective tool for providing isolation and preventing bleed from other instruments.

6. natmiss

natmiss Member

CAD makes a good one cheap. Two sizes.

7. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  8. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Might have been an active noise cancellation devise to enhance isolation. Similar to what looks like dual mic's on the Grateful Dead's wall of sound rig.