• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Mics out of phase? Textbook case?

So is this a good illustration of 2 mics out of phase on a couple of tracks? Blown up big you can really tell one mic goes "down" when the other goes "up". The top line in each track is an MD421 on the grill; the bottom line is a Cascade ribbon (721R) about 2 feet back.

Anyhow, when I used a utility plugin to flip the phase on one mic on each track, suddenly the guitar parts really jumped out and got a little less glassy. That's probably telling me somethin', huh? :eek:

Audioholic

The wave pics on that editor hardly look like they are super accurate or able to tell teh whole story, sometimes hard to get the audible story just by looking at a wav form for some things. when positioning a mic farther and closer, the sound will of course hit them at differering times, best to use your ears rather then seeing if something "looks" out of phase. Usually out of phase sounds hollow and lack of bass or just plain odd or filtered. If it sounds better when flipping the phase, then kewl. Best to try to get things in phase as best as possible before hitting record by using your ears. Putting one mic up close and another 2 feet back, might take some listening tests to get them to work in phase, usually for me, those differing distance can equal phase problems if not positioned correctly.

Randaddy

It sure looks that way to me.

But instead of flipping one of the waves, slide it so that they align. It appears that the bottom one (of each pair) could be slid to the right just a little and they would align.

It sure looks that way to me.

But instead of flipping one of the waves, slide it so that they align. It appears that the bottom one (of each pair) could be slid to the right just a little and they would align.
That was my original thought too, based on looking at a tiny section of the wave the way you see it in this graphic. The problem is, the waves expand and contract based on pitch, so sliding the wave to work where you see it here, for example, won't work for higher or lower frequency waves elsewhere on the track.

Didn't stop me from spending time going down that path, though... :p

drfrankencopter

Silver Supporting Member
Doesn't look reverse polarity to me.....just looks like there's a delay (which you'd expect with one mic 2 feet back from the other). Measure the time between any two peaks that you think should correspond, and add a delay. By looking at it, I'd be inclined to delay the lower track (far mic), by about 1/3rd of a grid. Technically if you wanted to line them up you'd delay the close mic'dtrack (or advance the distant mic'd track), but to me that takes away from the 'space' of distant micing).

You don't have to be scientific about it either....stick a full bandwidth delay on one track (no feedback, 100%wet), and increase it in 1 ms increments until it sounds right. Remember if it sounds right, it IS right.

Cheers

Kris

Trending Topics