• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Mid 60's AC50 - What are they worth....

glaswerks

I have a friend with an old AC50 that he is wanting to unload. What are these worth? It is pretty decent shape. Original trannies, a few changed caps inside.

Looking for a ballpark number.

Thanks,
Gary

Bigtone

Hi Gary, Ball park would be around 1200.00 - 1400.00

Killer amps , I had a older ac50 grey panel, very nice cleans, and one of the best crunch tones I'VE EVER HEARD, the only amp I am sorry I sold,

Bigtone

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I would say around $1000-1500 USD for just the head. I have seen them for less. I have a '66 Vox AC50 and I love it. Mine has a SS rectifier, the tube rectifier versions are more desirable, with the very early single channel versions being the most sought after.

I am not sure if you are looking to buy the amp, but if you do, keep in mind that the height of the EL34 tubes is critical. I have broken off an SED trying to get the chassis back in the head shell.

glaswerks

I may pick it up. If so I will pick up one of the repro frames and 2x12 cabinets from North Coast. Not sure why I need it, but as of late gotten into the collecting old amp mode.

Laplacian

I think the old JMI AC50's are one of the last Truly Great & Affordable vintage amps.

When Marshalls & AC30's shot through the roof years ago, Hiwatts were still affordable, then they went up. Not sure how the AC50 has escaped notice, but they are awesome. From a seller/buyer stand point $1K is about where I have seen them.

I have 2. Combined with either a 2 Alnico cab or 1 ceramic+1 alnico that can handle the power, they are amazing. You pretty much jump the channels and dial them to one sweet spot and then leave it there, but it's a fantastic sound. Classic Vox cleans and a roar to give a good plexi a run for it's money from the guitar vol, and I have or have had all those old amps to compare to.

They are a steal IMHO. As much as an old TB AC30 with Wodens is a magical thing, I actually like the AC50 more. Either NOS Mullards or Siemens or new JJ KT-77's are a good match with them.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I think the old JMI AC50's are one of the last Truly Great & Affordable vintage amps.

When Marshalls & AC30's shot through the roof years ago, Hiwatts were still affordable, then they went up. Not sure how the AC50 has escaped notice, but they are awesome. From a seller/buyer stand point $1K is about where I have seen them.

I have 2. Combined with either a 2 Alnico cab or 1 ceramic+1 alnico that can handle the power, they are amazing. You pretty much jump the channels and dial them to one sweet spot and then leave it there, but it's a fantastic sound. Classic Vox cleans and a roar to give a good plexi a run for it's money from the guitar vol, and I have or have had all those old amps to compare to.

They are a steal IMHO. As much as an old TB AC30 with Wodens is a magical thing, I actually like the AC50 more. Either NOS Mullards or Siemens or new JJ KT-77's are a good match with them.
+1 I agree AC50's are great amps. Vox keeps ignoring them and only focusing on the AC15 and AC30 series amps, not counting their AC50CPH, which was no where close to an AC50.

I haven't jumpered the channels in a while on mine. I will have to do that again. When I did jumper them, I went into the high input on the normal channel and then had a jumper from the Low input on the normal channel to the high input on the Brilliant channel.

glaswerks

Thanks for the input.

If I end up with the amp, I will probably pair it with a couple of Celestion Golds. Think that would be a good match.

I have to mull it over a bit, buy it and have it sit in storage (I am out of room at my home). Or flip it.....