Mid 80's MIJ Squier Strat.... worth anything?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bob T., May 6, 2016.

1. Bob T.

Bob T. Member

Hey TGP,

I came across a CL post for a Squier MIJ Strat. The serial number is E767795, which I believe puts the instrument in '87 (???). Looks to be in nice shape from the pics that I can see, and I'll post them if I can find a way to. It also doesn't have the standard vintage style tremolo. It has a weird looking trem that is a little bigger.... almost like a locking trem, but it doesn't have the locking nut. It has the Fender logo on the bridge, so I'm guessing it could be original with the guitar?

I'm planning on picking it up tomorrow for $80. I'm guessing this is a good price, but I have to wonder.... Do you guys think that I could flip this for a little bit of money? I think I have seen some prices in the $300 ballpark, but I figured this would be a decent topic to discuss.

Would love some input, thanks!

2. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

Do an Ebay search for "Squier MIJ strat" and hit the "sold items" button, will give you a good idea of what they've been selling for recently.

3. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

If it has a "System I" tremolo it may have had the locknut behind the nut removed. Some negatives like parts availability and not easily replaced design associated with that trem. Still, I'd do it just for neck.