Mid Boosts

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by simonf, Mar 18, 2015.

1. simonf

simonf Member

I'm thinking of getting a new active mid booster for my Charvel 650xl. When I got it I took out the mid boost because it wasn't working well. From what I've found from google searchs the fender and emg mid boosters seem to be the most popular, but I haven't been able to find anything about the battery life of either one. Does anyone know how long the batteries last for either of these? Id aslo like to hear about anyone's opinions of these or other onboard mid boosters.

2. rongtr

rongtr Member

I have the Clapton mid-boost, and I change the battery every 4 months or so, and I'm sure it would last longer than that.

3. rongtr

rongtr Member

Most amps have passive tone controls- 10 being flat response. So if you turn your mids up you are really just getting a flat response, not boosting them.

4. Synex7254

Synex7254 Member

The Fender batteries can last for years...just don't leave the cables plugged in!

5. Route234

Route234 Member

Scott Walker makes great ones, so does demeter.

6. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

7. dazco

dazco Member

Not only that but if the amp's controls are POST distortion like most are, or if you get your distortion from pedals, the mid control in the amp won't do anything like the one in the guitar. Not to mention the mid control in most amps have a higher center frequency than that of a active guitar pre, which uses a lower mid Q in order to get that singing lead tone.

8. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I have an EMG Afterburner. I didn't install it in my guitar. Instead I turned it into a pedal. The battery should last a long time. I really don't like the sound. It makes the guitar louder. But it borders on muddy. Especially when played wide open. It seems to sound best when the guitar is running through it while it's in the off position. It makes the signal low impedance when a passive pickup(s) is played through it. I think an overdrive or distortion pedal would sound better.