mid priced strats: jimmy vaughan, classic player, deluxe player

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lv, Jun 4, 2008.

1. lv

lv Supporting Member

These all seem like cool, reasonably priced strats...anyone own or play one or more? Interested to hear thoughts on tone, build quality, etc.

If there are other models/brands, I'd be interested in hearing about those as well.

Thanks

2. bynt

bynt Member

I've played the Classic and the Jimmy and each one of those that I've played (maybe three?) have all been really jam up guitars. I like the way the Jimmy plays better than most of the American Standards. I really like the V on the Jimmie V strats.

3. Catmouth

Catmouth Member

I have an older JV Strat and it is very nice. Many new, old and reissues Strats have come and gone, but years later, I still have this one. I might have the exception to the rule, and if you want a timid, bell-like strat, this aint it. The neck is amazing to play on, and the sound is just right. My custom Valvetrain TB and that Strat and its instant Buddy Guy. Well, without the fantastic playing or polka dots.

4. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I was wildly impressed recently with the CLASSIC PLAYER 60s, and am considering purchase. Punchy, sweet, glassy, with an amazing cut and feel. Nice color choices.

I know more than a few guys who have bought Jimmy V's and swapped some parts like pups, and boom they had a gigging MONSTER!

5. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

JV Strats are very cool - rip out the pickups in favor of Harmonic Design Vintage Plus or Fralins, (or better yet - the entire pick guard in a block and have Acme assemble one for you), and swap the tuners for Sperzels. Net result = bitchin' guitar

Or...

Look for a Vintage Player Stratocaster. They didn't make 'em for long; they were made in Mexico. They're essentially a US Vintage Reissue with medium jumbo frets and Texas Specials, assembled in Mexico - steel trem block included. I got one in Aztec Gold. Great and gigable axe out of the box (lowered the Tx Specials into the pick guard and perform a treble-bleed mod on the day it arrived; gigged with it that night) - I added a set of Joe Barden pickups and the pick guard off of a '63 Strat. It is ridiculously good for that I spent on it.

jb

6. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

I have a Deluxe Powerhouse strat which is my favorite guitar, and has been for years now. Mine has a flawless fit and finish, and with the dummy-coil, no-load tone pot (controls all three pup's) and boost it's a great all-rounder. Best feature: substancial neck. I find most strats to have a too skinny neck for me. Excellent value for money.

I've played the Classic 50's too which was a very nice guitar, but some of the features like the 7.25 radius was a deal-breaker for me.

One week ago I held (didn't play) a Classic Player 60's, still concidering to go back and try it as it felt like a fine instrument, and I'm looking for another strat.

It will depend on what features you like. Most of them are a good buy IMO, and way nicer than the MIM standards.

7. diego

diego Member

Classic Player 60s have 12" radius necks with big frets, two-point bridges, and the CS69 pups.... nice!

8. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

Don't confuse the Classic Series w/ the Classic Player

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-60s-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510135

vs

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Classic-Player-60s-Stratocaster?sku=512767

I hate Fender's naming convention for these. It's very confusing.

I have a Classic Series 60's, a Classic Player 50's and a Deluxe Player. They are all wonderful guitars and an amazing bang for the buck. I have actually bought a couple of Deluxe Player necks off e-bay for less the $200 and put them on Warmoth bodies. They have jumbo frets, 12 inch radius and are nice and beefy. It really doesn't bother me if they are MIM.

9. vdoochild7

vdoochild7 Silver Supporting Member

Robert Cray MIM is a SWEET playing/sounding axe! Awesome neck, great tone, nice pickups, decent hardware/tuners.

10. RMstrat

RMstrat Member

I have a JV with some fralins...only guitar that I play

11. fishlog

fishlog Member

I think the best thing to do is go out and play as many guitars as you can in your price range. Find the guitar that makes you want to play and is like an old pair of jeans. Remember with most of the guitars in this price range you will probably want to change out the PUps. So find one that plays and has a great neck. I have a classic 50's MIM still one of the best necks I have ever had (9 years later) PUps sucked though. Changed them out up graded the pots and such and now my guitar can really compete with any other.

12. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

I've owned both the Jimmy Vaughan and the Classic Player 50s. Both were fine Strats, especially for the price. The CP 50s beat out several US Strats I tried. The JV I had was a good one as well with a really nice neck carve. The fret ends were a little unfinished though. The CP 50s was close to perfect right off the rack. A little minor setup work was all that was needed. I also preferred the 57/62 pickups in the CP 50s to the Tex-Mex pickups in the JV. But that's entirely a subjective call. I also really liked the locking Gotohs on the CP 50s. On the other hand, I preferred the vintage style bridge on the JV.

13. tdarian

tdarian Gold Supporting Member

I also have a JV. The only change I've made to it is to replace the vintage single ply pick guard with a 3 ply. It has a fairly healthy neck that starts as a soft V and rolls out to a C, with a 9.5 radius and 1 11/16 nut width.

I grab this guitar a lot when I just want to get comfortable, plug in, and "noodle". It's got what appears to be a blem free fairly thick poly finish, but it resonates like mad.

I've often thought about a custom build (I did that with a tele www.ronkirn.com ) but then I pick up the JV that I paid about $500.00 for and think "what more do I need".

I got this one after trying a friend's, and I've tried several others since. I have yet to pick up a clunker JV.

14. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

+1 on the Jimmie Vaughn Strat. I've had mine for a couple of years now. I love the hot pickups and the neck carve. Also, the JV's have an American vintage bridge, instead of the Chinese / Ping repro bridges. The JV has some serious resonance to it. I prefer the guitar overall to my '94 American Strat with Fender Custom Shop pickups. I'm planning on picking up another JV before too long.

15. gerryb

gerryb Member

I have a JV, too. The change I've made to it are: replacing the vintage single ply pick guard with a 3 ply; and replacing the V-neck with a curved-veneer rosewood capped neck made by Peter Florance. I've had it for a few years now and I'm impressed with the way it sounds.

The Florance neck hasn't needed adjustment and is quite thick (almost 1" @ the nut). Construction is fair but it works. Meanwhile, the JV neck sits unused, looking for a home....

16. Steve73

Steve73 Member

I have a CP '50's Strat and I love it. GREAT guitar for the money with a beautiful neck (I like the 7.5 radius). It plays nicer than most American Standards I have tried. Again, my two cents only....

17. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Robert Cray MIM. Custon Shop pups (tonally identical to Duncan SSL1s). Alder body. Fat 62 C neck. 9 1/2" radius. RW board. MJ frets. Hardtail. If you can dig a hardtail, this could be the best strat for anything under $1500.