Mid-range ($1500-ish) Acoustic Electric

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by OldDogGuitarGear, Dec 16, 2009.

1. OldDogGuitarGear

OldDogGuitarGear Member

I'm a novice that's just beginning to get barre chords and a bit of finger picking chops. My starter guitar is a Martin 000X1 which I bought for size, sound and price ($460 new). I'd like to upgrade a bit and would like pre-amp and pickup(s) along with a cutaway (so I can noodle around with backing tracks).

I have medium size hands but not skinny fingers. My current guitar is 1 11/16" at the nut and I'm thinking 1 3/4" might give me a bit more room for A and B shape chords. A shorter scale probably wouldn't hurt, but seem to be rare. And I'm wondering if anyone with similar hands has any particular preference for neck shape/size.

I like the 000 and OM size guitars. A deadnaught just feels too big to me and I imagine a jumbo would too since the lower bout is about the same size. Mini jumbo might be okay, but I've never tried one.

I'd like a handsome, well finished guitar. I'm hoping that a well made guitar with good electronics isn't too much to ask for at the $1500 price range. I do particularly like the look of the sitka spruce top, flamed maple sides and backs, but I do wonder why you don't see more...are they too bright sounding?

Anyway, those are my needs/wants. Any recommendations and advice you have would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2009
  2. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

1500 bucks will get you a very nice guitar. I paid less than that for my Martin RTG-16, and that's my stage acoustic. Martin and Taylor both make A/E guitars that can be set up to play however you'd like it feel. You really don't have to spend a ton to get something you really enjoy.

3. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

The Taylor 312ce or 314ce would be great choices. Both sound great, and play very nicely.

Check out the higher end Seagulls too, they have really nice string spacing for the fatter fingered guys like us. The SWS series is well below your price point, and you can have the best pickups installed with them far under 1500. The SWS mini-jumbo is awesome.

4. Hangfire

Hangfire Member

Larrivee - Best Bang for the Buck

I've got three, two dreads and one parlor!

Great guitars and great people to deal with.

5. Foss38

Foss38 Member

Cole Clark guitars with unmatched plugged in sound !