• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Midas 501 Mic Pre

High Pedality

These are supposed to be pretty cool right?

178025040_10225399147395617_1067339324251593090_n.jpg

Captngeetch

Silver Supporting Member
They are the definitive “Midas” sound. And quite expensive, that’s for sure. Would love to hear some samples recorded through it !

High Pedality

They are the definitive “Midas” sound. And quite expensive, that’s for sure. Would love to hear some samples recorded through it !

If you were to want the ultimate demo that just covered everything you've ever wanted to know about this mysterious machine, what would that all entail?

Captngeetch

Silver Supporting Member
If you were to want the ultimate demo that just covered everything you've ever wanted to know about this mysterious machine, what would that all entail?
Would love to hear clean male vocals, Acoustic guitar (strum & finger picking) and electric guitar. No accompaniment, no effects/EQ/Compression. Female vocals would be awesome too, but that’s just me being a pig lol

TwoHandsTenThumbs

Silver Supporting Member
A product that I don’t understand, financially. $10k list, $2500 MAP. And the 502 is what — $200?
Seems like weird Behringer shenanigans to me. Again.

Kudos to @High Pedality though for creating great content for VK and disclosing that relationship.

Captngeetch

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe. But the 501 is a completely different animal from the 502. All high-quality components, pre-behringer design (legacy preamp) and 60db of gain (-20 to+80db) is nice. No cloud lifter need with this one. Granted, the pricing is suspect. Heck of a discount from list price. But it is a high end preamp none the less. Highly regarded for it’s use on live work from what I’ve heard/read. I wouldn’t throw it out of my 500 rack. I’ve recorded a ton of tracks with Behringers Midas preamps and they are clean and crisp. Would love to hear samples of this one w/o any coloration or extra processing.

TwoHandsTenThumbs

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe. But the 501 is a completely different animal from the 502. All high-quality components, pre-behringer design (legacy preamp) and 60db of gain (-20 to+80db) is nice. No cloud lifter need with this one. Granted, the pricing is suspect. Heck of a discount from list price. But it is a high end preamp none the less. Highly regarded for it’s use on live work from what I’ve heard/read. I wouldn’t throw it out of my 500 rack. I’ve recorded a ton of tracks with Behringers Midas preamps and they are clean and crisp. Would love to hear samples of this one w/o any coloration or extra processing.

I don’t doubt it. It’s just weird. It was $12.5k with a $10k MAP for a long while, with nobody unaffiliated with Music Tribe / Behringer ever seeing an example outside a photo shoot. Likely, because one could buy a smaller Midas console for that price. Obviously, that has shifted, and they are in production now. It just strikes me as an odd offering, with some pretty heavy hitters at that price per channel.

Captngeetch

Silver Supporting Member
I don’t doubt it. It’s just weird. It was $12.5k with a $10k MAP for a long while, with nobody unaffiliated with Music Tribe / Behringer ever seeing an example outside a photo shoot. Likely, because one could buy a smaller Midas console for that price. Obviously, that has shifted, and they are in production now. It just strikes me as an odd offering, with some pretty heavy hitters at that price per channel.
Yeah I agree with you on the pricing weirdness. Someone is still looking for that $12k on Reverb too lol. And if I was gonna spend $2k+ on a preamp, there are others I would want before the Midas for sure. I prefer the API sound myself and the Behringer/Midas pre’s kind of lean towards that vibe to my ears. That’s why I would love to hear how the Legacy Midas pre sounds w/o any additives.

OctalSocket

A 10k mic pre that is a - wait for it - 500 rack module?

I don’t care what anyone says, this is a deeply unserious product.

The Midas that was is no longer.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom