Middle aged men playing punk.

OJT1212

IMHO Punk is all about youth rage. When I see reunion tours of bands like The Descendants, The Adolescents etc I can't help but roll my eyes. It's like a feeble attempt to recapture youth. I think guys like Mike Ness got it right. He made a pivot because he realized a 30 plus year old man singing about how his parents suck is absurd and weird.

Ending up like The Who playing My Generation at 70 isn't a good look. Just my $0.02.

filtersweep

I know a lot of aging ‘hipsters’ (from before the term slipped into popular use) that still are single, childless, renters in deadend sevice jobs pretending they are 25- rather than 50.

Some are still in their punk or noise bands... and many are still into the bands of their youth. At least if Facebook is any indication.

Punk really died decades ago— regardless.

27sauce

Young people discover old music. Go figure...some might even want to see some version of those groups play live.

It also seems that young people grow older and continue to enjoy things from when they were younger.

Insane, I know.

Lance

Sort of like Grace Slick saying R & R is all about youth and vitality. Which is why she really didn't do any of the 90's Jefferson anything get the band back together things, post Starship in the 80's. Old people look ridiculous singing Rock music.

However, people can play whatever they want. I don't get caught up in that type of stance anymore. Why? Because I'm 52, that's why!

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
IMHO Punk is all about youth rage. When I see reunion tours of bands like The Descendants, The Adolescents etc I can't help but roll my eyes. It's like a feeble attempt to recapture youth. I think guys like Mike Ness got it right. He made a pivot because he realized a 30 plus year old man singing about how his parents suck is absurd and weird.

Ending up like The Who playing My Generation at 70 isn't a good look. Just my $0.02.
Punk is a "how" not a "what".

Middle-aged children sing about childish things, be it in a Punk, Metal, Country or whatever context.

For whatever reason I never had a chance to see the Descendents until 30 years after I first heard them. It was an absolute thrill. I see X every year I get the chance although I guess they've always been "adult" punk. I sing in punk bands though they are more first wave, but who cares? The rebellious music kids make today doesn't sound anything like the music I grew up with and loved but I want to hear what is close to my heart not someone two generations later that thinks I'm an old fuddy duddy anyways.

cam0122

I'm still waiting for the Ramones to do a reunion tour.
Woooooooooo!!!!!

Note for those of you who are offended by my post:

My post was my stab at 'Airheaded Sarcastic Humor".

I LOVE the Ramones. They invented Punk Rock.

I watch every video of their live performances that I can find.

Yes, I realize that they are no longer together because all but one former member is dead. Therefore they will not do a reunion tour.

Last edited:

Noah

Gold Supporting Member
What’s the difference between punk, blues, rock, country, pop, show tunes, jazz, or metal? All genres can have incredibly stupid lyrics. I don’t think Mike Ness ever wrote anything that was very deep at any point in his career.

I've been listening to punk for 30 years now and can't think of a single song where the lyrics are about hating your parents. Maybe that kind of thing happened with the punk/metal stuff I never got into.

Btw, We used to have a punk band in Arizona made up of senior citizens called “One foot in the grave”. They were some of the nicest and coolest people I’ve ever met.

Last edited:

Trending Topics